Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes

Chocolate Malted Cupcakes

So we've established that I don't like peanut butter and chocolate confections, but in fact I'm not big on most candy.  I do have a soft spot once in a long while for Werther's, Raisinets, or Whoppers.  My friend Charmie laughingly says, "That's old people candy!"  Maybe, but these Chocolate Malt Cupcakes don't look like something Grandma would have whipped up.

Chocolate Malt Cupcake

I first spied them on The Culinary Chronicles, and they were so cute I had to make them.  When we decided to lighten up a humdrum Sunday night of work last week by throwing an Oscars potluck party, I thought these were perfect.  I know I enjoy crunching on Whoppers while watching a movie.

I left the Whoppers out of the cupcake recipe because I wanted a uniform cake crumb.  I also tweaked the frosting recipe because I have a personal dislike of shortening.  Use a high-quality cocoa powder; I used Guittard.  The malt flavoring is a bit subdued in the cupcake, but all there in the frosting.



Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
From The Culinary Chronicles
Makes approximately 28 Cupcakes

2¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Unsweetened Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
¾ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Milk
1½ Cups Malted Milk Powder
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
1 Cup Sour Cream, at room temperature
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Chocolate Covered Malt Balls, chopped

Chocolate Malt Buttercream
Adapted from The Culinary Chronicles
3 sticks butter, at room temperature
½ cup malted milk powder
2-4 tbs unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
3 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
*Chocolate-covered malt balls and straws to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined. Fold in crushed chocolate covered malt balls.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting. In a large mixer bowl, whip the butter for several minutes until very light and fluffy. Sprinkle in malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute. Slowly add the powdered sugar a few spoonfuls at a time, letting it incorporate until the frosting becomes thicker and stiff.

Fill bag with the frosting and pipe large swirls on top of cupcakes. Top with candies and straw garnish.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. These sound yummy good .. they also look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I've made malted cupcakes in the past and love the unique flavor so I'm sure these are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! These stood out to me on foodgawker! They were calling my name!! Beautiful pics ♥- Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the way these look! And I'm sure they taste even better. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so cute! My boyfriend loves anything malt, so I'll have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable cupcakes! Love the Whoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum. I don't like much candy either, but I have such a soft spot for malt balls. Thank you for sharing your words and sweet recipe tonight. I'm drooling. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A whoppers cupcake! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cupcakes look so luscious :) I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made whopper cookies a long time ago and loved them, I have no doubt these whopper cupcakes would be just as amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these today for my bunko group tonight... They look and taste wonderful! Easy recipe, too. Whoppers are my favorite candy so I had to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, everybody!

    And I'm so glad you made them and liked them, Terri. You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had to look at these cupcakes because they contain malt, which I love. And looking through your post, I realize that I like 'old people' candy too! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.