Thursday, February 16, 2012

Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie

E_6887900417_136122a23d_z
Ladies, does this situation sound familiar to you?  You've baked something for an event, a potluck, or a friend or relative, and your fella asks you where that's going or says he would have liked some?  When Joe saw the heart-shaped cookie cutters and ate some of the chocolate cutouts from the Two-tone Linzer Hearts I made for my sister, he was a bit envious.  I had something different in mind for him though.  Since he liked the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups that I made for Valentine's Day last year so much, this Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie sounded like a winner.

Frozen Chocolate-PB Pie

People with Celiac will rejoice to hear this pie is gluten-free.  For the base, I used storebought gluten-free cookies that I had intended for a different purpose and recipient but never got around to.  But the Pamela's brand cookies were surprisingly delicious, so I used them.

Frozen Chocolate-PB Pie Dish

I also made the recipe into four small pies, and you won't finish even one pie in a single sitting because they're so rich.  Two were made in 5-inch pie plates, and two in mini-springform pans that showcase the beautiful sides and base of the pies.

Joe was impressed with the beautiful pies, plus he went back for seconds.  I think I came out on top because my gift was a heart pendant, plus some of you might recall I'm no fan of mixing chocolate and PB.  And, I just might make those Linzer Hearts again.

This post was shared with:
Tea Party Tuesday
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Sweet Treats Thursday
Sweets for a Saturday
Themed Baker's Sunday


Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie
From Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts

For the Crust
36 chocolate wafer cookies (8 oz), broken into pieces, or 1¾ cups wafer cookie crumbs
6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
3 tbs dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt

For the Filling
6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
¾ cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp coarse salt
1¼ cups smooth peanut butter
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream

Garnish
1 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tbs smooth peanut butter

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, pulse wafers until finely ground.  In a bowl, combine wafer crumbs, butter, brown sugar, and salt. Press the mixture firmly into bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake until set, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

(If you are using the mini-springform pans, press the crumbs into the bottoms only of the pans to make a crust base.  After baking, cut strips of parchment paper.  Tuck them inside the sides of the pans to make a paper collar -- this will help with easy removal and keeping the sides pristine when you unmold the pies.)

Make the filling: With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and salt until fluffy.  Beat in peanut butter and vanilla.  In a chilled bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.  Whisk one-third of whipped cream into peanut butter mixture, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream.  Spoon filling into cooled crust.  Freeze, uncovered, 4 hours (or up to 1 day, covered with plastic wrap).

Garnish the pie: Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water.  (Alternatively, you can melt it in the microwave.)  Transfer melted chocolate to a resealable plastic bag.  Snip tip from one corner of bag to make a very small opening.  Holding bag about 5 inches above pie, drizzle melted chocolate over top.  In a small saucepan over low heat (or in the microwave), melt peanut butter.  Place in a resealable plastic bag; snip corner, and drizzle in the same manner as melted chocolate.  Let pie stand 10 minutes before slicing.

(If you are using the mini-springform pans, run hot water over a cloth and wring it out.  Set the pans on top of the hot cloth.  This will help release the bases.  After a few minutes, remove the springform rings and run an offset spatula between the crust and pan's base; gently move the pie to a plate.  Carefully peel off the parchment paper collar, and proceed with drizzling peanut butter and chocolate as stated above.)

14 comments:

  1. Oh this would definitely have to happen for me again if I made it for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ladies"? "Your fella"? So, only straight females visit your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Espectacular!!!!
    Me quedo a seguirte.
    Un saludo
    Miguel
    lareposteriademiguel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! These photos make me want to jump into your post and have my way with those pies. My husband, annoyingly, doesn't ever want what I make. But these? These I could totally tantalize him with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband would think he died and went to heaven - thanks for sharing the recipe. Pinning it!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might eat this myself before my husband got home if I could get to it before the kids ate it all. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are stunning, this looks amazing! I appreicate you linking up at Tea Party Tuesday, hope to see you back this week for a fun giveaway! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate and peanut butter together is my weakness--this looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! I have a hard time drizzling zigzag and you did such a perfect job... this looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowwwwwwww this is such a delicious looking pie!!
    Your decoration is perfect and you really upgraded it
    I absolutely love your pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything with peanut butter is a winner to my family. Anything with cream cheese is the thing for me. this recipe is tops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, that is chocolate peanut butter heaven. You made it to the Top 5 for Sweets for a Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.