Monday, August 9, 2010

Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler

I always look forward to peach season.  I had been planning to bake an easy cobbler I used to make years ago.  Glancing at the card I dug up from my recipe box, one thing bugged me: The recipe listed boiling water as an ingredient for the biscuit topping.  Don't cookbooks and cooking shows endlessly preach the virtues of cold biscuit ingredients for maximum puff and flakiness?  I mean, the recipe worked great all those years ago and family and friends loved it, but I felt it was time for a new recipe.  This one's almost as easy.  And it was a bonus that it called for buttermilk, which I had left over from another recipe. 

Peach Cobbler Collage
I made the cobblers in ramekins and mini-pie dishes because the baking dish I pulled out looked too large for the filling. Also, I just love baked goods in mini form. It wasn't until I popped them in the oven that I realized the recipe didn't call for any cinnamon, nutmeg, or other spices. My old recipe card didn't either. I know some people think cinnamon gets in the way of unadulterated summer peach or autumn apple flavors... what do you think? In the end it tasted great, with summery peach sweetness and a buttery biscuit topping. And yet, I really could have done with a hit of cinnamon, and I was wondering if I preferred the old biscuit topping after all. That's life, huh? Especially for picky ol' me.

Peach Cobblers
From Everyday Food via Martha Stewart's website

Serves 4

FOR THE FILLING
¼ to ½ cup sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1½ pounds peaches, halved, pitted, cut into ½-inch-thick slices, and cut in half again crosswise (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

FOR THE TOPPING
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½-inch cubes
⅔ cup low-fat buttermilk

Make the filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add peaches and lemon juice; toss to combine. Divide filling evenly among four 8-ounce custard cups (or one 2-quart baking dish); transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
Make the topping and bake: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir just until a dough forms. Drop dough onto peaches, using about 1/3 cup dough for each custard cup. Sprinkle dough with remaining teaspoon sugar. Bake until fruit is bubbling and biscuit topping is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes; serve warm.

9 comments:

  1. I love peach cobbler! You have definitely inspired me to make some.
    I've made biscuits with boiling water before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also look forward to peach season all year long...and I love using buttermilk in cobbler recipes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet summer peaches--yum! I love how you served the cobblers in individual ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that looks delicious! What a perfect summer dessert! I like to make it on mini ramekins too. They are adorable and I can limit myself not to eat a whole tray myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This peach cobbler looks so so tasty. I love peach flavor dessert. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. I certainly will try it very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy enough, I have yet to make peach cobbler this summer! You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have such an abundance of our great jersey peaches, this would be a perfect dessert to make!! thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, I love peach season, and I esp love the idea of making individual cobblers in the ramekins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your peach cobbler! Simply delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.