Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mascarpone Gelato

Mascarpone Gelato
I had been looking forward to trying this gelato, and Sis had been nagging me to make it.  Would I make it again?  Probably not, because of how much it cost!  The recipe calls for two tubs of mascarpone, and I was shocked they cost $4.99 each.  That means you're making a $10+ quart of gelato!  So I wasn't even upset when Joe returned from the grocery store with just one tub, and I halved the recipe.

The gelato recipe also didn't get a thumbs-up.  I thought it was all right, but both Joe and Sis complained the lemon flavor was too aggressive, and lemon aside, it just failed to wow them.  I found that funny, since I used only the zest of one lemon.  And I left the pine nuts out, since no one wanted them.  The Mascarpone Gelato recipe is on this page.  If you know of a better one -- and if it doesn't cost over $10 to make -- let me know!  I've got another ice cream post on the way, a winner that I make over and over again.  Stay tuned!

Tomato Tart Unbaked
And some gratuitous photos of a tomato tart with roasted garlic and fontina I made, just because the colors look cool.

Tomatoes
The colors got very muted after baking.  Plus, I didn't have time to snap a photo before it got eaten at a potluck.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that the gelato didn't turned out as you had hoped and that it was so expensive! I don't have a recipe to offer but hopefully someone else does! I'd love to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about the gelato, but the tomatoes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gelato looks amazing...I'm sorry it didn't taste that great. At least you had all of those stunning tomatoes though! I wish I had a great recipe to offer you...but I've yet to try my hand at ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe if you made your own mascarpone, it's cheaper and tastier and creamier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the gelato recipes you posted, especially the vanilla, and the chocolate. Our store, here in S. Florida charges $3.89 for the Belgioso Mascarpone, on the 8oz. container. I actually have two in my frig, but I'm saving that to make Tiramisu with. Those heirloom tomatoes look beautiful in a tart. Can't get those kind here...sigh!
    p.s. I printed out your gelato recipes, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unique use of ricotta. Sorry it turn out the way you expected. the tarts looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about this one...I had high hopes. Love mascarpone, but you're right about the price!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.