Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stained Glass Cookies

Stained Glass Cookies

These Stained Glass Cookies are works of art.  Hold them up, and you can see through their candy centers. They can look like red glass ornaments on your cookie trees, and the cutouts in turn can be decorated with colored sugar and adorn another cookie tree.  They were a gorgeous addition to my Christmas cookie baskets.

Stained Glass Ornament Cookies

These ornament cookies look almost too pretty to eat, like they should be hung up on a real tree to catch the light.

Stained Glass Cookie Trees

And for some variation, a light brushing of water followed by a sprinkling of colorful sugar also makes your cookies festive.

Stained Glass Cookies
The method couldn't be easier.  After the cookies bake for a few minutes, pull them out and sprinkle crushed hard candy into the cavities, then bake a little longer.  But Joe and I were doubtful, and you should have heard us preparing.

I don't think the oven is hot enough to melt the candy.


Of course it is! ... but if I pile it too high, will it overflow?


Is the the candy going stay in place or flow like a river?

I can tell you that the candy will spread, but only so much.  So you may want to sprinkle a little extra in the points of those stars and snowflakes.  And our little mounds of crushed candy sat taller than the cookies, but did not overflow.  Try it ... I bet people will tell you they've never seen anything like it!


Cutout Cookies
From Martha Stewart Living December 2010 Issue

Shape dough (recipe below) into 2 disks, and wrap each in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Roll out 1 disk on a lightly floured piece of parchment to ⅛- to ¼-inch thickness.  Repeat with remaining disk.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.  Cut out desired shapes.
Makes about 3 dozen, depending on size of cutouts.


Stained-Glass Technique
After cutting out cookie shapes, cut out small shapes within cookies where you want "stained glass" to appear.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 350° for 4 minutes (if you'll be using whole candies) or 8 minutes (if you'll be using crushed candies).  Fill cutouts with candy.  Bake until cookies are firm and candies are melted, 5 to 8 minutes more.


Sugaring Technique
Before baking, brush cookie shapes with water, and sprinkle generously with sanding sugar.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 350° until cookies are firm, 12 to 15 minutes.


Basic Vanilla Dough
3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.

Dough can be refrigerated overnight or frozen up to 1 month.

16 comments:

  1. These are just lovely. I've always loved stained glass cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies are all perfect. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never actually made these, but I always think they are some of the pretties cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies are fantastic! I love their colors and their candy centers make them so inspiring! Perfect for new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so perfect for the holiday season! I remember reading somewhere that you can use crushed LifeSaver candies for the middles too (but I don't know this from experience) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty, you did such a lovely job. I am giving it some buzz ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! You did a great job with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everybody!! :)

    They work with any hard candies, Amina, and you could even get the swirly peppermint candies and bake them whole for a very cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen these before--they're really cool. I can imagine all the crazy things someone could with this information. Oh yes...I can...and I will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! They remind me of Tiffany lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful...almost too beautiful to eat...then again, I know that as soon as I got a whiff of these sugar cookies, they would be gone! Thank you for sharing with me, week after week. Sending love and good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year I see these pretty cookies and tell myself I'll make them. Every year I forget. You've done a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your cookies are gorgeous- too pretty for santa to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, you did a great job with these cookies. i'm bookmarking it and try heart shaped one for V-day in February.
    thanks for sharing.

    May this new year bring many opportunities to your way,
    to explore every joy of life
    &
    may your resolutions for the days ahead stay firm,
    turning all your dreams into reality
    and all your efforts into great achievements.
    Happy New Year to you & your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies look so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.