Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blackberry Ice Cream

Blackberry Ice Cream
My friend Jacob recently wrote on my Facebook wall: "Less fruit, more chocolate."  He isn't so fond of fruit, and has a particular hate of apples.  I know -- I don't understand him, and I don't think I want to.  Sorry, Jacob, but it's summer!  Crops are ripening, farmers markets are bustling, and all that fruit looks and smells good.

I'm not even big on berry ice creams.  Pure chocolate is my favorite, or vanilla flavored with chocolate.  But this one was wonderfully creamy, and had that great blackberry taste without the pucker you can get from eating the fruit plain.  It even won over Joe, who prefers coffee or peanut butter cup ice creams.  Maybe you could drizzle some fudge sauce on top, Jacob?

This post was submitted to Sweets for a Saturday.

I essentially kept the recipe the same, except I pureed the macerated blackberries and strained them before adding to the ice cream base.  I did add chunks of blackberries for aesthetics at the end, but didn't want to add them all whole as the recipe seems to suggest.

Blackberry Ice Cream
By Saveur

1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
1 pint fresh blackberries
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon

1. Place milk in the top of a double boiler and bring just to a simmer over gently boiling water over medium heat.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a mixing bowl. Lightly whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk into egg mixture, then whisk egg mixture into remaining milk in top of double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of a spoon, about 15 minutes.

3. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl; stir in 1 1/4 cups heavy cream; refrigerate until cold.

4. Combine blackberries, remaining sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. (Add more sugar if berries are tart.) Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

5. Stir into cream base and pour into an ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturer's directions. If desired, just before mixture is set, add 1 cup halved fresh blackberries.

16 comments:

  1. Mmm I can imagine how lovely it tastes :) looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! Perfect for the summer :) So glad to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fudge sauce -- or mixing in chocolate shavings -- sounds perfect.

    Though berries are on the acceptable end of the fruit scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. More chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blackberry ice cream, I just got a gelato maker, I am going to have to try your recipe as soon as I can get a hold of some berries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything blackberry. I usually make a Sherbet,(http://cowgurlsblessing.blogspot.com/2010/06/blackberry-sherbet_08.html) but I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly superb! Delicious summer treat..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this looks so good. Happy National Ice Cream month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blackberries are just wonderful right now. I'm so glad to see another recipe featuring this dark summer gem. Thank you for sharing this with me today. I hope you have a blessed week with good food, laughter and love. Hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can whip up anything into an ice cream these days! LOVE summers and the biggest reason is to be able to indulge in some of these sinful goodness in season :-)
    Blackberries have always been a family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This ice cream looks wonderful. And I'm with you - we have to use fresh fruit while it's in season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate is a fruit:-) or at least comes from a fruit....oh all right to be technical it comes from the seed of a fruit. I also appreciate ice- cream in any form LOL yours looks like a winner for sure

    ReplyDelete
  13. waiting for next post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man... I really need to invest in an ice cream maker! I really like how you called it Blackberry ice cream vs. Black Raspberry ice cream... more props to the berry being pretty darn awesome being it's own thang ;) Also, there is something more elegant about the name too. Looks delish! And, great photo... love the color of the blackberry ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.