Friday, September 2, 2011

Chocolate Gelato, and Hold the Extras

Chocolate Gelato 2
I'm mostly an ice cream purist -- hold the nuts, chocolate chips, candy, and other bits.  Pure chocolate is my undisputed favorite, though maple ice cream is also up there.  With only four ingredients, this gelato has a deep and intense chocolate flavor.  That's owed in large part to the high quality of cocoa I used, Guittard.  I had my doubts because the unfrozen gelato tasted an awful lot like pudding, but once it was frozen and set up it was like rich chocolate ice cream.  Is it my favorite recipe?  No, that distinction still belongs to Ben & Jerry's, but this is still excellent and easier.

Chocolate Gelato
Like most gelato recipes, this one uses milk and not cream.  That's a plus in the health department, but it usually means a dessert that's icier and not satisfyingly rich, like the strawberry gelato I tried a couple months ago.  That wasn't a problem here.  Try this one when your next chocolate craving hits.

Chocolate Gelato
From Saveur
3 cups milk
¾ cup sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa

1. Bring 2 cups of the milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then remove from heat. Combine remaining 1 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa in a bowl, add to hot milk, and cook until sugar and cocoa dissolve.
2. Set aside to let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

7 comments:

  1. Pure chocolate sounds just heavenly to me! Just Beautiful! Thank you for sharing a delicious and inspiring recipe, my friend. I hope your weekend is full of laughter! Hugs from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look so so so yummy, thanks for sharing at Tea Party Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gelato, but sadly the only place that sold it closed years ago. Now I can make my own!

    Thanks for stopping by sweet tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh thanks for this post. My son has asked the entire summer for chocolate ice cream, but I didn't get a chance to. This gelato seems so easy to make and I have to make this! I'm bookmarking now and hopefully I get to try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to share that I made this yesterday without an ice cream maker. I just popped it in the freezer overnight and it came out great despite a few ice crystals :)
    I'm enjoying it now and I have to say this is among the best ice creams I've tasted. Reminds me of Ben & Jerry's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your recipes. There is a new platform where you can upload them and are seen with a design adapted to iPad. You can also link to your blog, get statistics... It is http://www.cibos.me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.