Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Shredded Pork in Red Chili

Shredded Pork in Red Chili
As much as I complain about the ending of summer, it's always exciting when the time to make cold-weather comfort food arrives.  This recipe seemed like the answer to that pork loin stashed in my freezer, and I was intrigued by the idea of a pork chili.  In my hurry, I shaved an hour off the cook time and the meat was still fall-apart tender.

I made a few changes.  For one, the recipe doesn't say how much hominy to use, so I just left it out.  Also, I'm not fond of yuca and didn't have any, so I substituted a sweet potato.  I felt the sweet potato absorbed too much salty flavor, and might be inclined to leave it out or cook it separately next time.  And as a spice wuss I cut down on the dried chiles and chipotle.  The verdict: Joe was crazy about this dish, and I thought it was OK.  It was good, but I didn't feel wowed, like something was missing.  And not just the tongue-sear from omitting some chiles.  I might give it another go, now that we're officially in Dutch oven season.

Shredded Pork in Red Chili
From Martha Stewart Living

4 dried ancho chiles
4 dried guajillo chiles
4 dried mulato chiles
1 chipotle chile
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
4 1/2 cups boiling water
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-cubed peeled yuca
1 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked in water overnight
Hominy, warm tortillas, Mexican crema or sour cream, and jalapeno chile slices, for serving (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread chiles and garlic on a baking sheet. Roast until softened, 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Tear chiles into pieces, discarding stems and seeds. Add to boiling water, remove from heat, and top with a small plate. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water. Puree chiles, tomatoes, reserved water, and warm water.
Peel garlic. With a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, spices, herbs, 2 teaspoons salt, and the vinegar into a paste.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season pork generously with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook pork until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion to pot, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in paste, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in pork, yuca, beans, chile mixture, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Cover, and place in oven until tender, about 3 hours. Stir in hominy, and serve with tortillas, crema or sour cream, and jalapenos if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this dish looks fantastic. Bookmarked to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made chili at home but this looks delicious! I have the same cast iron (and mine is red too!). I also look forward to winter because of food not the weather...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.