Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cheesecake Brownies

059

If you love cheesecakes and you love brownies, this one's for you.  I don't really do chocolate with cheesecake, but one exception is that Godiva Cheesecake Factory cheesecake (it truly is something else!) and the other is this cheesecake brownie.  And two of my chocolate-hating friends loved it!  It's also a cinch to whip up: Combine the ingredients for the brownie base and pour in a pan, then combine the ingredients for the cheesecake and pour on top, then bake.  That's it.  My main alteration?  The brownie is supposed to be coffee-flavored, and I just don't do coffee.  I can almost hear the disbelief of all the coffee lovers I know, but I promise it's still good.

021
The brownie base.  I think the quality of the chocolate was what made it palatable to my friends.  Here I used a blend of Green & Black's organic milk chocolate and dark chocolate instead of the semisweet the recipe calls for.  I'm also a huge fan of Lindt and Callebaut.  Spring for the good stuff -- it really makes a difference!

028
The cheesecake batter gets poured on top.  OK, I'll admit that I made a couple other alterations.  I subbed in Neufchatel cheese for cream cheese, and low-fat sour cream for full fat.  Trust me, you won't notice the difference.  Neufchatel tastes just like cream cheese, but with one-third less fat.  That means you can eat one-third more, right?

035
When I made this years ago I always made the full recipe, but this time it halved nicely and a large loaf pan was the perfect size.  If you also halve the recipe, bake it for 35 minutes instead.

047
After baking, it needs to cool off and then chill in the refrigerator for six hours.  The parchment paper made removal very easy.

006
To cut, clean your knife between slices to keep your squares neat.  Part cheesecake and part brownie in every bite.

Coffee-Flavored Brownie Cheesecake
From George Geary's 125 Best Cheesecake Recipes

Preheat oven to 350°.
9-inch cheesecake pan or springform pan with 3-inch sides, lined with parchment paper

BASE
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tbs coffee-flavored liqueur
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1 lb semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled (I used half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate)
1 cup all-purpose flour

FILLING
2 packages (each 8 oz) cream cheese, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tbs all-purpose flour
¼ cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla

In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Mix in liqueur, vanilla, salt, and chocolate.  Quickly beat in flour.  Smooth into prepared cheesecake pan.  Refrigerate for 3 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Mix in flour, sour cream, and vanilla.  Spread batter evenly over top of brownie layer.  Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is light brown and the center has a slight jiggle to it.  Cool on a rack for 2 hours.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.

4 comments:

  1. your brownie looks great, I love the cheesecake topping on it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty presentation! Definitely a people pleasing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm! You just combined my two favorite things! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great idea! I'll have to give this a shot next time I have an excuse to make a dessert for someone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.