Saturday, May 1, 2010

Beyond Hummus: Roasted Chickpeas

054

The jury's still out on this one.

I'd seen roasted chickpeas in other blogs and a magazine lately, and it sounded tasty and healthy.  I remember reading a review of a local restaurant that served what someone called "chickpea crack," or deep-fried chickpeas.  If I'm going to eat something deep-fried, though, I'd skip the chickpeas and just go over to french fries.

The best way I can describe roasted chickpeas is . . . different.  It's definitely a healthier snack than potato chips and a dozen other things you can think of.  The first bite is just weird.  Subsequent bites are nutty, and Joe and I kept eating them, yet we were unsure if we actually liked them.  Try it for yourself and let me know what you think.  You can also flavor them in a multitude of ways, with cayenne pepper or various herbs.

044

Making them is easy enough.  Just preheat to 375°.  Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.  I usually buy low-sodium or organic, which tends to have lower sodium.  You might also want to use two cans, so you're not using all that gas or electric for one little can.  Spread them on a baking sheet, drizzle with a tablespoon of canola oil and some salt and pepper, and roast for 25 minutes.  I sprinkled on some paprika for color.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Roasted chickpeas are a snack in india. But it's usually made from the brown-skinned chickpeas which are very flavorful. I don't think they are pre-cooked though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom says they're a snack in Malaysia also! But she says they're roasted very dry and crunchy there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very dry and crunchy, and when you chew them they have an almost powdery consistency. They're ground to get chickpea flour too, or to use to hold together meat or vegetable patties

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.