Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chef Dennis' Corn Fritters

Corn Fritters

Chef Dennis writes about the delicious and healthy recipes he creates at a Pennsylvania prep school at More Than a Mount Full.  The squidgy cafeteria burgers, limp fries, and watered-down, soup-consistency ketchup of my youth can't be found on his blog.  Recently I saw a recipe for corn fritters he made that I just couldn't resist.  These were not just pancakes flecked with corn kernels, but crispy, airy, and slightly sweet.  What I was really impressed with was that the leftovers returned to their crispy state the day after when reheated in a toaster oven.  This is a perfect use for that farmers' market corn.

corn fritter 2
The batter is easy to throw together, and I love how colorful it is.  I had no scallions, but I have plenty of chives in my garden and they were a delicious substitute.

Corn Fritter
I used my trusty tablespoon scoop to measure out the fritters, and fried them until golden brown on each side before draining on paper towels.  They were excellent sprinkled with some fresh herbs and eaten with roasted vegetables.  They look smaller than the ones in Chef Dennis' photo, but I churned out 25.  Recipe after the jump.

Basil Corn Fritters
By Chef Dennis of More Than a Mount Full

2 ears of roasted corn (off the cob)
1 tbs chopped fresh basil
¼ cup shredded carrots
¼ cup spring onions, chopped (I substituted chives)
1 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbs sugar (I reduced to 1 tbs)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
¼ cup melted butter

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Combine eggs, milk, and butter.  Add in corn, carrots, basil, and spring onions.

Fold flour in to mixture.  Mix just enough to incorporate all of the ingredients. (Add more or less flour as needed.)

Drop by tablespoons into hot oil (use a sauté pan with about ½ inch of olive oil or vegetable oil).

Sauté for about 90 seconds; the fritter should be golden brown. Turn over fritter and cook until that side is golden brown. Fritter should be cooked through.  If they still look raw, you may reduce heat and continue to cook longer, or place in 300 degree oven for 5 minutes.

Serve with greek yogurt and just a squeeze of lemon juice.

6 comments:

  1. I love his blog...and I love this recipe. Your step by step pictures had my mouth watering. I just need to go and pick up a few ears of corn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fritters look wonderful! Thanks so much for making them, and blogging about it!!! What an honor!!
    All the Best!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so great!!! Crispy and wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try these! They looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a variation on these- no carrot, no basil. but added just a little goat cheese. Delicious! Gotta try with the carrots too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to make these! they look great- maybe on a salad or I love your idea with roasted veggies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.