Saturday, November 6, 2010

Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies

Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Banana-nut bread and the chocolate chip cookie make a good couple.  These Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies have the flavor and lightness of banana bread, with the taste and chocolate hit of chocolate chip cookies.  They're fun and easy to make, and just what I was looking for after slightly fussier apple crostatas and bar cookies.

Halloween 2010

I've been doing more, but my baking and cooking projects don't always end up on the blog.  Some I consider too ordinary or ubiquitous.  Sometimes I neglected to take photos.  Sometimes, as in this case, the recipe just didn't work out.  I had been looking for a pumpkin biscotti recipe but they're so few.  This recipe was halfway to a disaster.  The flavor was good, but they didn't get to the correct, hard biscotti consistency and had chewy middles despite repeat stints in the oven.  I finally decided that pumpkin puree must be too wet for proper biscotti, and that the storebought variety I'd tried before probably uses some industrial powdered pumpkin flavoring.

My pumpkin-carving didn't go so great either, since I cleaned it the week before and let it sit, and it grew moldy.  In the end, I carved a simple face in a very thick gourd since stores were sold out of pumpkins.  I had to envy Joe's pumpkin (bottom right), since he did a better job and his pumpkin is still mold-free.

Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk

These cookies went waaay easier.  Surprisingly, the recipe called for oats and some whole wheat flour, and I used some white whole wheat flour I had on hand.  Everybody's favorite start to cookie dough is that mixture of butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.  The remaining ingredients are added, and then scooped onto a cookie sheet.  The cookies bake up small, but I had a big yield of over 40.  The recipe calls for cutting up your own chocolate chunks, but I didn't realize and had bought 60% cacao chocolate chips.  But they were perfect, nice and big with a deeper, grown-up flavor.



Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies
From Martha Stewart's Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp coarse salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into ¼-inch chunks
  I used 60% cacao chocolate chips
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 2 ounces), toasted


Preheat oven to 375°.  Whisk together both flours, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.


Put butter and both sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy.  Reduce speed to low.  Add egg and vanilla; mix until combined.  Mix in banana.  Add flour mixture; mix just until combined.  Stir in oats, chocolate chunks, and walnuts.


Using a 1½-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart.  Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown and just set, 12 to 13 minutes.  Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes.  Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely.  Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.

5 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Especially with that big glass of milk sitting next to it. Thanks for sharing. I never try the Martha recipies until I hear of other bloggers who have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that this recipe was a success...like Stephanie, I always wait until another brave soul has tried her recipes! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend full of good eating and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've combined the two ultimate comfort foods...banana bread and chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo! They look like the perfect blend of muffin and cookie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.