Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mom's Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant


Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant
New photo updated Oct. 2012. 

You might think shrimp and eggplant are an odd combination, unless you've had this dish at dim sum.  I love it.  Mom still finds it weird to have me snapping shots around her and trying to note every little detail, but I got the recipe!  In exchange, I showed her how to make sweet potato biscuits, which I'll be posting soon.

Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant

The eggplant is sliced on the diagonal, and then sliced again (but not all the way through) to create a pocket to hold the shrimp.  The slices are then filled with shrimp, and browned in the pan.  Because eggplant sucks up oil like a sponge, eggplant dishes can be greasy.  Mom uses the Chinese method of quickly frying for color and flavor, then steaming the rest of the way through to avoid more oil absorption.  The dish is finished off with the usual oyster sauce, and Mom's addition of mirin adds complexity.  Use Japanese eggplants, which are slender and long, rather than the short and bulbous Italian variety.


Mom's Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant
3 Japanese eggplants
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp cornstarch, divided
Salt and pepper
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp mirin (substitute with sugar if you can't find this)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 scallion, chopped

Chill the shrimp in the freezer in a bowl with 1 teaspoon each of salt, sugar, and water for a few minutes.  Mom believes it lends the shrimp a fresh and crisp texture.

Drain the shrimp.  Using a cleaver or other knife, whack each piece of shrimp so it is flattened, which will help with binding the mixture together later. Then chop the shrimp into a mince, and add ½ tsp pepper,¼ tsp salt, and ½ tsp cornstarch to combine.

Slice each eggplant on the diagonal, about 1½-inch thick. Then slice through the middle, but not all the way, to create a pocket for the shrimp. The end pieces can be cooked unstuffed with the rest of the dish.

Fill each eggplant slice to the top with about a tablespoon of the shrimp mixture.

Heat a pan over medium-high heat with ¼ inch of canola oil. Working in batches, fry the eggplant slices for a couple minutes on each side until browned and then move the slices to a plate.

Return all the eggplant slices to the pan, add ½ cup water, and cover. Steam for 7 to 10 minutes, until the eggplant is soft and easily pierced with a knife, and the shrimp is pink and cooked through.  Do not overcook, or the shrimp will toughen and the eggplant wi The end pieces may take longer to cook.

In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, mirin, the other ½ tsp of cornstarch, and 2 tbs water, then add to the pan and stir. Cook for 2 minutes, until sauce thickens.  Move the eggplant and sauce to a plate. Add the garlic and chopped scallion and cook for a minute, then sprinkle over top of the dish.

Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant

12 comments:

  1. This is looks amazing and I can see how all those flavours would go really well together

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all-time favourite dim sum dishes (that and sticky rice), and I'm so happy to discover how easy it is to make. Thanks! Can't wait to try this out at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, I have saved this to my faves to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely and comforting dish! Not weird at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just made my Friday morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish looks so wonderfully delicious! I've been wondering what else to do with eggplant and you've given me another idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to make these all the time for my sister and me when we were little, so this is definitely comfort food for me. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and reminding me I should start making these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried shrimp and eggplant before, but I'm sure it is delicious. I love how you are sharing a family recipe...always the best kind! Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope you are having a relaxing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I love eggplant prepared this way...stuffed with seafood. The sauce goes really well with some white rice or even better with some noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everybody! So glad you like the post. I'm looking forward to making this a lot at home.

    Riceandwheat and Monet, grandmothers' and moms' recipes really always are the best.

    Angie, sauce on rice is one of my favorite things about Chinese dishes. :) Mom always made sure there was enough for us 3 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dish! This sounds rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those look amazing! I would never have thought to stuff eggplant with shrimp, and then that flavorful sauce!
    How delicious it must have been!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.