Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blizzard Chocolate-Banana Bread Pudding

Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
Just what does everyone make with the milk, bread, and eggs they buy before a big storm hits?  One possibility when you're all holed up is bread pudding!  OK, so this one is a little richer with half-and-half instead of milk, and you've got to have some chocolate and bananas on hand.  But when you need a break from shoveling a foot of snow and shaking your fist at the plowmen who piled a snow wall at your driveway, there will be bread pudding waiting for you.

Snowstorm
Not my house, in case you had stalking intentions.  But the scene is pretty.  My honest thoughts about the bread pudding?  Definitely better cold, and not warm from the oven.  And it was good, but I think I had built up my expectations too high.  I'd rather have chocolate cake, or a banana split.  Even better, cinnamon raisin bread pudding.

Choco Banana Bread Pudding
The bread was soaked in the chocolate custard overnight.  I almost forgot to add the bananas the next morning before they went in the oven!  You can see that I switched the square pan up to a larger size.  Both the ramekins and the 10-by-7-inch pan were done in 45 minutes, in case you're interested in making smaller batches.  I also halved the recipe, since it makes a lot of bread pudding!



Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
From Joanne Chang's Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
Serves 10 to 12

6 to 7 cups ½-inch-cubed day-old white bread (the weight depends on type of bread)
6 ounces (170 grams) milk chocolate, chopped
2 ounces (56 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped into pebble-sized pieces
6 cups (1.4 kilograms) half-and-half
2 eggs
6 egg yolks
½ cup (100 grams) sugar
¼ tsp kosher salt
3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into slices ⅛ inch to ¼ inch thick


Spread the bread cubes evenly over the bottom of a deep 9-by-13-inch baking dish or roasting pan.  Place the milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.  In a medium saucepan, scald the half-and-half over medium-high heat (bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan, but the cream is not boiling).  Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for 1 minute, then gently whisk together the chocolate and cream until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks until blended, and then slowly whisk in the sugar and salt until combined.  Slowly add the hot chocolate-cream mixture to the egg-sugar mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, then pour it over the bread.  Mix the custard and bread well to make sure all of the bread cubes are soaking evenly.  Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.


When you are ready to bake, position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 30 degrees.


Stir the banana slices into the bread pudding.  Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until just barely set.  To test for doneness, insert a knife in the middle of the pudding and bend it back a bit to see if the custard mix has set up.  If liquid fills the hole made with the knife, the pudding needs more time.  When the pudding is ready, remove from the oven and let rest for at least 2 hours.  Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate and serve chilled.


The bread pudding can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

7 comments:

  1. Would you believe I've never had bread pudding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always seems to be disappointed by bread pudding too. I am not sure if it is never sweet enough or if it is the texture or what...I always prefer chocolate cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I'd love to give that a try! I saw the words chocolate and pudding and I rushed right over! :) This sounds yummylicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now thats an amazing bread pudding! The banana's would have been enough for me, adding the chocolate just pushed it over the edge!
    I can't wait to try it
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more! I am NOT a fan of warm bread pudding (or any other warm dessert actually!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made banana bread pudding for the first time last week...it must be something in the air! But I really loved my dessert. We used some leftover honey wheat bread I had made, and it hit the spot on a cold Monday night. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. May your Sunday burst forth with joy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Bread pudding has been one of my favorites for years. This choco-banana version sounds irresistible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.