Thursday, January 27, 2011

Brisket Melt

Brisket Melt
I had this sandwich with my sister at a restaurant last month.  It was a bitterly cold day, and we were starving.  I couldn't decide what to order, and asked Sis what she was getting.  "The brisket melt," she said, and I decided I had to have it too.  The brisket was juicy and fall-apart tender, and served on challah with melted cheese, onions, and peppers.  And I've been thinking of it ever since.

Uncooked Brisket
This version proved to be real easy.  Instead of placing the brisket and vegetables in a roasting pan covered with foil like the recipe said, I used my cast iron braiser and its lid.  Stick it all in the braiser, then in the oven, and come back in a few hours.  Toast a roll, melt some cheese on it, top it with some sliced brisket and onions, and you're done.  And really full.

Brisket Melt Dinner
I used Ina Garten's Brisket recipe, but downsized it for a 2½-pound brisket instead of the 6 or 7 pounds the recipe calls for.  If you can't find brisket at your supermarket, ask the butcher.  My only other deviation from the recipe was to use a can of tomato puree with some water instead of the tomato juice the recipe calls for, since I thought that was a weird choice of braising liquid and I didn't have any.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, this looks so good! Nothing like slow cooked meat. Good things come to those who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this looks so good that I want to go out and buy the ingredients now! And this is a sandwich I know my family will love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this looks so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that would make my taste buds real happy!:) Looks so gooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making this Austin girl very very hungry! I don't eat red meat very often (hardy at all) but when I do...I want it to be as tantalizing as this brisket. Wow! It looks so good. I hope you are having a good weekend with friends and family. Thank you for sharing with me tonight! Many blessings in the week to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have at some briskets! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.