Monday, February 13, 2012

Two-tone Linzer Hearts

Linzer Hearts 2
Every year the twin sister pesters me to make linzers around Christmas.  I think she now expects them around Valentine's Day, too!  I've done linzers a couple times on this blog before, but when I saw these beautiful Chocolate and Vanilla Linzer Hearts on Butteryum I had to make them.  I can just hear the sister complaining about changing up her favorite recipe, but I think she should count herself lucky that she gets any cookies.  I mean, how many people send you linzers without fail every year?

Linzer Hearts Red
I used my usual King Arthur Flour recipe with the hazelnut dough, but adapted Butteryum's idea to make half of the dough chocolate.  Guittard cocoa powder gives it an intense, chocolatey hit that mortal cocoa powders might not.  The chocolate cookie is further contrasted with the hazelnut layer by a shower of snowy confectioners sugar.  And the little cutout chocolate hearts are pretty darn cute.  I think the sister will enjoy these anyway.

This post was shared with:
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Tea Party Tuesday
Sweet Treats Thursday
Sweets for a Saturday


Two-tone Linzer Hearts
Adapted from Butteryum's Chocolate and Vanilla Linzer Hearts
and King Arthur Flour's Linzer Cookies

8 ounces (1 cup) unsalted butter
3½ ounces (½ cup) granulated sugar
4 ounces (1 cup) confectioners sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2½ ounces (1 cup) hazelnut flour (I used toasted)
9½ ounces (2¼ cups) all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 large egg
12 ounces (1 cup) seedless raspberry jam
More confectioners sugar, for dusting

You'll need 3 graduated sizes of heart-shaped cutters.

Beat together the butter, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix in the hazelnut flour, all-purpose flour, and egg.  Divide the dough in half, and wrap one half with saran wrap.

To the half remaining in the bowl, add the cocoa powder and beat to combine.  Wrap the chocolate half.  Refrigerate both halves for 60 minutes, for easiest rolling. Toward the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 375°.

Roll the dough 1/8" thick. Use the largest heart cutter to cut shapes out of the plain dough.  Use medium-sized heart cutters to cut shapes out of the chocolate dough.  Then use your tiny heart cutter to cut little hearts out of the centers of the chocolate hearts.  Transfer the cookies to an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.  I used Silpats.

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. I found the big heart cookies took 11 minutes, while the chocolate hearts and tiny cutout hearts took 9 minutes.  Remove from the oven, and cool completely on a rack.

Spoon a small amount of jam onto the centers of the big heart cookies.  Dust the chocolate heart cookies with the open centers with confectioners sugar.  Top the big heart cookies with the chocolate heart cookies so the jam is visible through the centers.  Scatter the tiny chocolate hearts decoratively around the plate.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow - these turned out so awesome! Thanks for the mention and link back to my blog. I'm going to have to check out the recipe you used. Love, love, love them... and how sweet that you send them to your sister. I always wanted to be a twin.

    :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of "Linzer" before, but I enjoyed reading how you make these. Your twin sister is so lucky there is a great baker in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this two tone idea. The cookies look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just pinned this one--your photographs are beautiful! (I wanted that pomegranate dish towel, but they were sold out by the time I got around to placing an order!) My husband just loves Linzer pastries--wish I would have seen this in time to make it for today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea for a beautiful breakfast! Your photos are just lovely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look wonderful
    You gave them a very nice touch!
    Wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful! I'd love for you to join my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime. The linky runs through Friday each week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.