Friday, April 20, 2012

Cast Iron Skillet Pizza

Cast Iron Pizza 2

Have you ever heard of making pizza in a cast iron skillet?  We've owned a pizza stone for years, but when I saw this recipe I wanted to try it anyway.  I wanted to see how a skillet held up to a stone, and how storebought pizza dough compares to homemade.  Initially I waved away the idea of following the recipe by using storebought dough, but then I wondered what the quality of premade dough is like and if the convenience is worth it.

Cast Iron Pizza slice 2

You can buy premade pizza dough in the refrigerated section of your supermarket's bakery.  When I saw whole wheat dough along with plain, I decided to add another level to my experiment.  Both pizzas are made the same way, with a quick sauce from scratch, fresh mozzarella, and crumbled Italian sausage.  When they were done, I topped them with parsley and shavings of Parmesan.

Cast Iron Pizza slice

My verdicts:

1) Storebought dough is not as good as homemade dough, but it's not far off, and convenience counts for a lot.  Dough from scratch has to be made the night before, and there are resting periods in the refrigerator and at room temperature -- the storebought dough is ready to use when you bring it home.  The flavor of storebought is close to homemade, and the texture is a little doughier than homemade but not a deal-breaker.  If you want to go the from-scratch route anyway, I have only praise for Peter Reinhart's dough recipe.

2) I can't say the same for the whole wheat dough.  It rolled out nice and thin and didn't have the annoying elasticity of the plain dough, but I missed that elasticity and chew when eating the whole wheat crust.  It also had all the flavor of cardboard.

3) The cast iron skillet works great, producing a crust with a nicely crisped bottom.  If you have only a 10-inch skillet like me, a half-pound of pizza dough will work for this recipe or one pound will make two pizzas; scale down the other ingredients slightly as well.  If you're fighting kitchen clutter, you may opt for just your skillet instead of buying a pizza stone.

4) The pizza recipe is delicious as well.  I like the from-scratch sauce, and the small amount guarantees you won't have a soggy crust.  I like the use of fresh mozzarella, and even though it releases water after cooking the taste is superior.  I left out the arugula because I'm not a fan, but the parsley and Parmesan are nice.

If you've wanted to try making your own pizza, this is the easiest I've seen yet.

Sausage, Arugula, and Parsley Pizza
From Martha Stewart Living Magazine March 2012 Issue

6 ounces sweet Italian sausage
1 tbs plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
¾ pound storebought pizza dough
3 whole peeled tomatoes from a can, crushed
1 tbs tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Coarse salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Garnish: flat-leaf parsley leaves and arugula, tossed with olive oil and vinegar, plus Parmesan shavings

Preheat oven to 500° (or as high as it will go). Remove sausage from casings. Saute over high heat until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Break into bite-size pieces.

Brush a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 teaspoon oil. Press dough flat in the skillet, spreading to edge.

Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and red pepper. Spread over dough.

Cook over medium-high heat until bottom is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to oven; bake 3 minutes. Scatter mozzarella and sausage on top; continue baking until edge of crust is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley, arugula, and Parmesan.

12 comments:

  1. Yummy! Such a fun way to do pizza. It always reminds me of pizza hut when I do it this way. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad it's no deep dish pizza. uggg...not a fan of that but this looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm up for deep dish and sometimes it feels greasy and spongy.

      Delete
  3. Such a wondeful way of making pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried making pizza this week, but it looks just about perfect! Thanks for sharing with me. I'm sitting down to a late lunch, and I'm thankful I have food in my stomach because your post looks so delicious. I hope you have a great start to your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monet! You're such an avid bread baker, I bet you'd be really good at making pizzas too.

      Delete
  5. I have a cast iron skillet, but I'm ashamed to say I hardly ever use it--I find it a little bit intimidating! This sounds like the perfect recipe to get me to pull it out of the cabinet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you won't be using it to sear meats, but it works great for potato recipes, especially oven ones. My other cast iron pan with the raised ridges is awesome for "grilling" vegetables.

      Delete
  6. I love my cast iron skillet. I never tried it for pizza, though. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my pizza stone and it has to be one of my favorite thing in the kitchen. I am going to try this with premade dough since I have cast iron skillet and I'm curious too! It's going to be fun and delicious... I like the fact that I don't have to use pizza peel. I have dropped a pizza at least once (or twice maybe). Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.