Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Fancy Twix," or Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars

Fancy Twix Bars

"Would I like a fancy, homemade version of a Twix?"  I asked Joe recently.  He said yes.  See, I'm not big on candy or candy bars.  My friend Charmie used to say I like "old people candy" -- Werther's and Raisinets.  Hard candies, gummies, and nougat don't do it for me.  I don't even know what makes a Twix different from a Snickers or Milky Way.  But when I saw this recipe at Tracey's Culinary Adventures, I thought the shortbread layered with caramel and chocolate looked pretty damn good.

If Twix tasted like this, I might be more of a candy bar fan.  Wow.  The shortbread is nice and crumbly when you bite into it, the caramel is smooth and rich, and the bittersweet chocolate topped with coarse salt is my favorite.  Don't skip the salt, which transforms the flavors of chocolate and caramel.  Tracey mentioned in her post that she halved the amount of caramel and thought the result was perfect -- I agree, but Joe wanted more caramel.  Depends on how much of a caramel fan you are.  Also, I like mine straight from the fridge because the bars get a little soft at room temperature.

This wasn't difficult at all to make, though you have to make the three components in stages and give them time to set.  I've done trickier candy-making, like homemade marshmallows.  If there's a deterrent to making this again, it's that a pound of butter -- that's right, four sticks -- goes into this recipe.  Two for the shortbread, one for the caramel layer, and one for the chocolate.  You can halve the recipe, but what would you do with the other half a can of sweetened condensed milk?  This will be a repeat in my kitchen, but we'll be giving a bunch away like we did this time.  Spread the love, and the calories.

This post was shared with:
Sweet Treats Thursday

Click for the Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures.  I made no changes when making her recipe.

9 comments:

  1. Wow you have done an amazing job with this recipe! Looks perfect.
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm come to think of it I'm also not a big fan of candy bars. Not sure why, maybe too sweet. I wasn't even familiar with what Twix so I Googled it. =P Now I know the package. Never opened to see inside though, but I saw the image. I like your version (who won't? homemade version!!). Looks a lot more fancy and elegant and hard to call it candy bars! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it almost looks more like a baked good than a candy bar, but that makes it more tempting to me. :)

      Delete
  3. Yours look so good!! Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment and let me know you enjoyed them. Raisinets are my favorite, you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! Sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd file this under, "Recipes I will drool over but will never have the patience to make myself." ;) But you did it! They look absolutely amazing--I wish I had one right now in fact. ;)

    LOL at liking old people candy! A few months ago, my husband and I were grocery shopping and there was an elderly couple behind us and the only thing they were buying was a big bag of Werther's Originals. When we left the store, my husband was like, "So, I guess that stereotype about old people and Werther's is true, huh?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That almost makes me want to run out and buy a bag of Jolly Ranchers, except I hate them. lol

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.