Monday, November 12, 2012

Pumpkin Meringue Pie

Pumpkin Meringue Pie

I loved the idea of a pumpkin meringue pie.  Traditional pumpkin pie topped with a cloud of airy meringue, lighter than the usual whipped cream and artfully browned in swirls and whorls.  I am sad to report that it was a huge disappointment.  I had two complaints: the meringue wept, and the filling was all right but nothing exciting.  My friends said it tasted OK and that I was prejudiced from the beginning because I was "mad at the meringue."  It's true, but I've had much better pumpkin pie.  Like my all-time favorite, by Dorie Greenspan.

The pumpkin meringue pie also took nearly half an hour longer to bake than the Epicurious recipe indicated.  I used a Martha Stewart recipe for the meringue, and an hour later it was weeping liquid like meringues sometimes do, and sliding around the top of the pie.  The browning using the broiler wasn't very even, so I might be motivated now to indulge some pyro tendencies and procure a kitchen torch.  A friend of a friend did recommend an Italian meringue recipe on my Facebook page, so if I ever feel brave enough to try a meringue again I think I'll do that.

What's your favorite pumpkin pie or Thanksgiving dessert?

6 comments:

  1. Well, it looks perfect in your photo! I've never had a pumpkin pie topped with meringue. Usually we're traditionalists and go with a plain pumpkin pie and a little dollop of whipped cream, but all the variations I've been seeing lately have me intrigued. I did a pumpkin bread pudding for my Thanksgiving recipes this year and we really loved that, although it isn't as pretty as pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My traditional is a plain pie with a dollop of cream too. There's a reason we love the classics, right? Your pumpkin bread pudding sounded awesome.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! This would be such a perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table---YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I want to eat for Thanksgiving... and honestly, all year round. The key west bed and breakfast is also giving great Thanksgiving gifts but I just like Thanksgiving food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish it had tasted perfect too. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.