Thursday, November 8, 2012

Salted Caramel Blondies

Salted Caramel Blondies

These Salted Caramel Blondies tasted even better than I thought they would.  Did you know that feasting is an Election Night tradition in newsrooms?  I was thinking of a simple snack to make and found a recipe for these at Two Peas and Their Pod.  They were so rich, it worked to cut them into about a quarter of the size of the bars you see here.  And they fueled editors and reporters until our boatload delivery of Italian food and North End desserts arrived as the polls closed.  Around midnight, as the coffee supply was refreshed, a coworker was saying she could use a blondie but they were long gone.

I wasn't always a fan of caramel, finding it awfully sweet.  But salt adds complexity, and I'll even say sophistication, to caramel.  And although there are recipes out there that will call for homemade caramel sauce -- and I will often go for the made-from-scratch stuff -- I loved how the caramel sauce came together in the microwave in under 2 minutes by heating caramel squares with a bit of cream.  Perfect for when you've got a hectic Election Night, or just want to curl up with a book, a blondie, and a glass of milk.

For the recipe, please visit Two Peas and Their Pod.

Some notes:

  • I used the wrong pan for this recipe.  Oops.  But it still worked great.  I used an 8.5-inch-by-12.5-inch lasagna pan.
  • I really recommend a parchment sling for easy removal.  Spray your pan with cooking spray, then line it with a sheet of parchment with a bit of overhang on the sides.  Spray the parchment too, then proceed with the recipe.  When it's done, use a knife to loosen the two sides not lined with parchment, then lift the whole thing out.
  • I don't recommend halving the recipe.  I tried that in a shallow 7-inch-by-10-inch pan another time, and the cookie layer was so thin it didn't really hold together with the gooey caramel layer.

11 comments:

  1. I am quite partial to chocolate brownies so have never ventured on making blondies. If studded with chocolates and caramel (am very partial to that one), I am in. Lots of food you say? Election night must be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, but the big chocolate hunks in this are nice also.

      Delete
  2. Wowo wish i had them. Looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, look at the caramel oozing out on the side. And the chocolate! Your co-workers must love you for bringing things like this to work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saves me from thousands of calories! :)

      Delete
  4. I love adding salt to sweet things, they just simply add a new dimension to a dish. Salt is a really nice enhancer to sweet breads thats why bacon is also so good with chocolate muffins (just tried that recently)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried bacon with chocolate, but I have tried chocolate-covered potato chips! And chocolate-dipped pretzels are a favorite too.

      Delete
  5. Bad timing to look at your delicious blondies! It's almost 2am!! >_< Now I'd love to have these for breakfast please... :) My kids will go sugar high from the morning. =P Anyway I am always happy visiting your blogs and seeing delicious foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel visiting your blog in the middle of the night! These are a bit rich for breakfast, but definitely a treat. And your kids will definitely get a sugar high. lol

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.