Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Ham and Pineapple Pizza ... a.k.a. "The Debby"

Easter Ham and Pineapple Pizza

When my friend Debby and I were college roommates, we'd wake up hungry after the occasional (or semi-frequent?) night of too much drinking.  Debby would phone in a Hawaiian pizza for delivery.  A short time ago, she said I should create a dish for her on the blog, something salty and sweet.

Easter Ham and Pineapple Pizza

So this one's for Debby: on this Easter Sunday I skipped roasting a whole ham and made a Hawaiian pizza, which is topped with ham and pineapple.  I threw on some grape tomatoes for a quick roast on top because Debby loves tomatoes, and a few pepperoni strips for good measure.  Have a slice with some beer!

Easter Ham and Pineapple Pizza

The dough recipe makes 6 small pizzas.  Not feeding a frat party?  Throw some dough balls in the freezer for when the next craving hits.  That's 4 pizzas in the making in my freezer.



Easter Ham & Pineapple Pizza, a.k.a "The Debby"
Adapted from Peter Reinhart's Pizza Napoletana from The Bread Baker's Apprentice

I'm too lazy to type out that recipe, but you can find it all over the Web, including here.  It's also in my archives somewhere from a Daring Bakers challenge.  I recommend bread flour and using the optional olive oil.

Like the recipe says, less is more when it comes to pizza toppings.  Weigh it down, and it'll cook unevenly, stick to your pizza peel, or make a mess on your pizza stone.

Follow that recipe and use these toppings to make "The Debby."  No need to measure, really.  Eyeball it.

  • Mound of shredded mozzarella
  • Tomato sauce (use very little, like a few tablespoons on each pizza)
  • Ham slices
  • Pineapple chunks
  • Pepperoni slices, cut in strips
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Chopped herbs, like oregano or basil

6 comments:

  1. Inevitably we roasted the whole ham - or more precisely my mother-in-law did - but this is a great way to use the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaiian pizza is my all time favourite pizza...! Yours looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I cannot wait til my convection oven comes in. I want to make my own pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story for this dish ;) It's always nice to recreate dishes out of memory :) Happy belated Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. This week's Food on Friday is all about ham. So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.

    PS I am following you now. If you like Carole's Chatter it would be great if you followed me back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.