Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chocolate Cream Pie

Chocolate Cream Pie

This Chocolate Cream Pie has the best of all worlds: a chocolate graham cracker crumb crust is filled with a rich chocolate pudding, and topped off with a vanilla whipped cream and chocolate curls.  While this crust was easy to make, I wouldn't fault anyone for buying those premade crusts in the heat of summer to make a no-bake version.  And for the gluten-free among us, simply swap in gluten-free chocolate wafers to enjoy this dessert.

Chocolate Cream Pie Slice

The crust is nicely sandy and a bit crunchy, the pudding is one of the best I've ever had, and who doesn't like whipped cream?  You can simply spread on the cream, or pipe it in pretty stars like I did here for a fancier look.  I used Callebaut chocolate for the pudding once, and Ghirardelli another time.  You might be tempted to add more sugar if you taste the pudding when it's done and still hot, but keep in mind that puddings always taste sweeter after they chill.  But I decreased the confectioners' sugar in the whipped cream to a quarter-cup because I didn't feel it needed a half-cup.  And I was very, very pleased with all the results.

I've submitted this to Lisa's Sweets for a Saturday.

Chocolate Cream Pie
From Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts

Update: I discovered you can omit 2 of the egg yolks for health reasons without having much effect on the filling.

For the Crust
25 chocolate wafers (6 ounces), or 1½ cups wafer-cookie crumbs
4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 tbs granulated sugar
Pinch of salt


For the filling
2½ cups milk
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), chopped
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin (optional)
2 tbs cold water (optional)
4 large egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract


For the topping
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup confectioners' sugar
Chocolate curls, for garnish


1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°.  In a food processor, pulse wafers until fine crumbs form.  Add butter, sugar, and salt, and process until combined.  Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie dish.  Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.  Bake until a crust is fragrant, about 10 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.


2. Make the filling: In a medium saucepan, heat milk and chocolate over medium-high, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted.  In a small bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Add 1 cup of milk mixture and whisk until smooth.  Return mixture to saucepan; whisk to combine.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, 4 to 5 minutes (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).


3. If using gelatin, sprinkle 1 teaspoon over the 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.  In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks.  Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into yolks.  Return mixture to saucepan, and continue cooking custard over medium heat, stirring constantly, until custard is thick and bubbles appear in center, 1 to 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add softened gelatin, if using, and whisk until dissolved.  Stir in vanilla.  Let cool about 10 minutes, whisking 2 or 3 times.


4. Pour custard into baked and cooled crust.  Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of custard.  Refrigerate until filling is firm, 4 hours or up to 1 day.


5. Make the topping: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk cream just until soft peaks form.  Add confectioners' sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.  Spread whipped cream over custard.  Garnish pie with chocolate curls just before serving.

I found these websites helpful for making chocolate curls:
http://www.marthastewart.com/260533/milk-chocolate-curls
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/how-tomake-chocolate-curls/

21 comments:

  1. Looks good, Goh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for supporting the gluten free family




    http://www.gloryfoods.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning pie! Truly gorgeous...and something my family would adore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! If I just had a fork and the ability to turn that pie into reality! I guess I'll have to make this one! Anything chocolate draws me in, and this pie calls my name...loudly! I came here from sweet as sugar cookies!
    It's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that looks amazing!!! I can't let me husband see this. No one else would even get a bite :)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love from scratch chocolate pies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate cream pie!!! Its such a tradition in my family to have one around the holidays. I love how you used a chocolate crust!!! and the pudding recipe looks fabulous! I'm going to pass this recipe on to my mom and aunts!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chocolate. And you made this cream pie look fabulous. I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, sweet dessert. I love how you piped the cream on top. SO pretty! Thank you for sharing with me. This was a great way to start my Saturday. I always leave your blog smiling. Have a beautiful and blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredible!! And I love your pictures. I hope you can swing by my Sweet Treats Party and link up this weekend! It goes through Sunday night :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the plate and the chocolate curls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks absolutely amazing! YUM! I found your blog through a link party! You have some great looking recipes on here! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Also, I am featuring this on my blog tomorrow for mouth-watering-mondays! Come check it out and feel free to grab a button!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning pics and yummy recipe! You got a beautiful space here! Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious dessert! I bookmark the recipe for a futur recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo this looks sooo delicious, what a great picture! Loving your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo this looks sooo delicious, what a great picture! Loving your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made the filling and I can't wait for it to cool. The pudding was so easy to make and it's the tastiest homemade chocolate pudding I've ever had! I bought a pre-made crust but I'm going to make the whipped cream. I can't wait to share the pie with my friends tonight! Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, Sara, thanks for sharing! I'm so glad you made it and like the pudding. You're very welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.