Monday, June 20, 2011

Roasted Corn Salad

Roasted Corn Salad
I could have attacked this whole dish with a spoon, it was that good.  Fresh corn and some poblano get slightly smoky under the broiler, and then mingle with the fresh flavors of tomato, scallion, and basil.  My friend Dorothy asked for the recipe, and I said, "What recipe?  I threw it together."  But it was easy enough that I roughly remembered everything.    

Roasted Corn Salad Bowl

Fans of cilantro can substitute that herb for the basil.  Feel free to use more poblano if you like it spicy, or substitute a hotter pepper.  I meant to use lime, but after sampling a little salad with some juice I felt the lime overpowered the other flavors.  Throw in other vegetables that you like, and make it your own -- just keep tasting and re-seasoning.  For my personal tastes, it was the perfect summer salad.

Roasted Corn Salad
10 ears of fresh corn, husks and silks removed
1 to 2 tbs olive oil
½ poblano pepper, deseeded

½ pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 scallions, thinly sliced
4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
½ tsp sugar, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste (I'd start with ½ tsp and ¼ tsp)
3 to 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil

Preheat the broiler and move the rack to the top position.  Brush the corn and poblano with the oil, then roast on a baking sheet for 12 minutes, turning twice to cook evenly on all sides.  The poblano should come out after about 5 minutes, when it is lightly charred.

When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, slice the corn kernels off the cobs and finely dice the poblano.  Add the remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.   Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.  Serve at room temperature.

4 comments:

  1. How perfectly summery! I love the picture. Corn and poblanos are my favorite combo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love corn salad in the summer! And I LOVE your square bowls!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.