Monday, June 6, 2011

Lychee Sorbet

Lychee Sorbet

I may not have been crazy about my last few frozen dessert recipes, but I love this one!  It seems like lychee has become a trendy flavor over the past few years.  I've been eating lychees since childhood, but I've never had Lychee Sorbet.  It has all the wonderful flavor of the fruit in a slushy kind of texture.

lychee closeup

The recipe calls for canned lychees and makes use of the syrup they're packed in.  The fresh fruit (in back) has a rough, thick skin you peel away with your fingers, and the juicy, white fruit has a pit inside.  I once offered a very similar fruit, the longan, to some friends in college, who found the texture too weird and said it was like an eyeball.  Which is funny, because the Mandarin long yan directly translates as "dragon's eye";  (the Mandarin for lychee is li zhi).


Lychee Sorbet 2

The sorbet is a cinch to whip up.  I'll be cooling off again with it on some hot summer days.


Lychee Sorbet
From The Ultimate Ice Cream Book by Bruce Weinstein

two 20-ounce cans lychees in heavy syrup (I opted for regular syrup)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten

Drain the lychees, reserving the syrup.  Puree the lychees with ½ cup reserved syrup in a blender or food processor until smooth, about 20 seconds.  Pour through a sieve, scraping with a whisk or wooden spoon to push as much of the fruit through as you can.  Set aside.

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and place over low heat.  Stir until the sugar dissolves completely.  Raise heat and boil the syrup 1 minute.  Remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg white with a whisk or electric beater until foamy, about 10 seconds.  Slowly beat in the hot sugar syrup.  Continue to beat until the meringue cools down slightly.  Add the lychee puree.  Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.  The mixture will have foam on top, but will incorporate into the sorbet when it freezes.

Stir the chilled mixture, then freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.  When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to eat.  For firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use lychees for sorbet! I don't have much access to them where I am from, but the one time I was able to tast them they were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I can't honestly say I've ever tried lychee. But this looks so refreshing, I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even tried a lychee before. Now I want to try the fruit and make this lovely sorbet! Thank you so much for sharing with me...and for offering me such support. I hope you have a wonderful Thursday afternoon! Hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lychee sorbet! I've heard of it but never tried it and now I'm drooling over this recipe and definitely saving it to try this summer. Fab recipe! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm so glad I'm following you now! Keep those delicious recipes coming! =]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.