Friday, March 30, 2012

Pineapple Buckle

Pineapple Buckle

This Pineapple Buckle is a yellow cake with chunks of pineapple mixed in and hints of lime zest and juice, and after some time in the oven slices of pineapple are arranged on top.  Because the batter has been partially cooked, the slices won't sink in and will sit on top, pretty as a picture. That's what the recipe said, anyway.  What happened is another matter.

Update: This post made the Foodbuzz Top 9!


Pineapple2

The pineapple slices on top sank into the batter as it continued to bake, so these slices you see on top are uncooked and thrown on in some decoration desperation.  If the only issue was aesthetics, it wouldn't be so bad.  Part of the problem was my fault: The recipe called for a 2-quart baking pan, but I didn't have one.  This 10-inch, deep-dish pie pan was too small, but my lasagna pan was too big.  I decided to divide the batter between two pie pans, but when I saw how little batter there was, I used just the one pie pan.  There was no way the batter was going to rise up and bubble over the pan.  I was right about that part.  But I think the batter requires a shallow cooking vessel because the buckle took more than twice the cooking time in the recipe to be done in the middle.

I'm not sure how a pineapple buckle is supposed to taste, but the cake was dense and very moist.  The pineapple was nice, but I didn't like the lime pairing. Joe really liked it; I wasn't crazy about it, and I wasn't even interested in giving the recipe another try.  Perhaps another variety of buckle, and next time I'll use the pan the recipe calls for!

This post was shared with:
Tea Party Tuesday
Sweets for a Saturday
A Themed Baker's Sunday

Pineapple Buckle
From Everyday Food March 2012 Issue

Unsalted butter, for baking dish
1 tbs grated lime zest, plus 1 tbs lime juice
1 cup diced pineapple, plus 6 thin rings
½ recipe Classic Yellow Cake batter (recipe follows)
Confectioners sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350°.  Butter a 2-quart baking dish.  Stir lime zest and juice and diced pineapple into batter.  Spread in baking dish.  Bake 15 minutes, then remove from oven and quickly arrange pineapple rings on top.  Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes.  (Tent with foil if browning too quickly.)  Let cool in dish on a wire rack 20 minutes.  Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

(Apologies for the weird recipe format, but it appeared in these 6 steps as photos and captions, without a recipe typed out.  I found it annoying.)

Classic Yellow Cake Batter
For the buckle, halve the recipe -- leftover batter would deflate if stored

1. Bring cold ingredients to room temperature.  Butter should be soft enough to hold a thumbprint but still keep its shape.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter and 1¾ cups sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
3. Beat in 4 large eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks, one at a time, until combined.  Beat in 1 tbs pure vanilla extract.
4. In another large bowl, whisk together 3 cups cake flour (spooned and leveled), 1 tbs baking powder, and  ½ tsp fine salt.
5. With mixer on low add one third of the flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine.
6. Beat in ¾ cup buttermilk, another third of the flour mixture, another ¾ cup buttermilk, and remaining flour mixture until just combined.  Scrape down bowl as needed.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley! This is looks so delicious but you didn't like it? Was the lime too strong and the cake tasted strange in a way? Looks so gorgeous though! I've only made pineapple upsidedown cake, and not sure how buckle tastes like but it's shame that the flavor wasn't as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nami! I can be a harsh critic when it comes to baked goods, since I've made so many and I don't feel this ranks high among them. Both of us have made Flour's upside-down pineapple cake, which I consider far superior to this recipe. I would have preferred the cake was lighter instead of dense, and the lime tasted a bit chalky to me paired with the pineapple. That said, I didn't use the correct-sized pan, and Joe really liked the buckle, especially the lime flavor. Thanks, I'm glad I at least saved its looks. :) And thanks for the pins!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh what an interesting post and recipe :) I've never heard of had a pineapple buckle before ~ But i really like how it looks! A shame that you didn't like it :( but it still looks amazing and I'd like to try some ~

    Congratulations for being Top 9!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What an unexpected surprise.
      I think I'll still give other buckles a chance. Maybe blueberry or raspberry, in the summer?

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious--I love pineapple and lime together! (Too bad you don't!) And had you not mentioned the issues with the pineapple, I never would have known because it looks perfect to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It SOUNDS like something I'd like together! :) Aw, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Your Pineapple Buckle looks delicious. Pineapple and lime in a delicious yellow cake MMM. Can't wait to try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous so it's such a shame you didn't enjoy it. I've never made a buckle before and am a bit unsure about what they are but I love any cakes with fruit in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was my first buckle too, so I'm unfamiliar with them. I might yet give buckles another try, with a different fruit.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.