Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shrimp, Scallion and Lap Cheong Omelets


omelet

This was inspired by a childhood favorite of mine.  Mom often made these omelets with shrimp, but no scallions or vegetables because my picky childhood palate wouldn't tolerate anything green.  When I was older I added the scallions.  Still not a lot in there, but I'm not a fan of diner-style omelets with a pound of cheese and filling.  The freshness of the scallions was great with the crisp and briny bite of fresh shrimp.  You can add soy sauce or oyster sauce like my brother does, or hot sauce like my dad.  And Mom always served these with rice.

Lap Cheong

To add another twist to the omelet, I used lap cheong (widely known by that Cantonese pronunciation, and called la chang in Mandarin).  You'll find these Chinese sausages in the refrigerated section of your Asian grocer, though Mom buys me some fresh from the butcher when I visit her.  If anybody can recommend a good prepackaged brand, since lap cheong vary in flavor and sweetness, I'd appreciate a suggestion in the comments!


Shrimp, Scallion and Lap Cheong Omelets
Makes 2 individual omelets
4 eggs
8 shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 link lap cheong
3 scallions, sliced thin
Salt and pepper
Canola oil

Slice the lap cheong thinly.  Heat a wok or frying pan and add the lap cheong and some water, enough to barely cover the sausage.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove the lap cheong to a plate and pour off the water.

Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, and beat with a fork.

Over medium-high heat, add a teaspoon of canola oil to the wok.  Add the shrimp and sear for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, just until cooked.  Remove half of the shrimp to a plate right away.  Add half of the scallions and half of the lap cheong and give everything a stir.  Pour the eggs into the wok.

Slowly rotate your wok to swirl the egg mixture around to create a bigger omelet and cook it evenly.  When the center is set and the edges of the omelet have pulled away from the wok, move the omelet to a plate.  If you're using a frying pan, skip the swirling and just cover the pan with a lid to help cook the top until done.

Repeat with the remaining eggs, scallions, and lap cheong.

9 comments:

  1. This looks DE- LISH!
    I wanted to let you know that I'm passing along the Versatile blogger award to you! For more infor about the award check out my post here http://ow.ly/9Qojz
    Have a great Day!
    Dawn @ DJ's Sugar Shack

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chinese sausage! I enjoys some dish with Chinese sausages but I don't eat it alone. My husband loves it though. I'm not very into eating any kinds of sausages alone in general. But with eggs or other ingredients... hmmm it adds whole new flavor in there and this is such an incredible ingredient to the food, just like bacon. =) Your omelets look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would eat it alone either. I really like it in rice. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I don't like the greasy, cheesy omelets either. I like a little cheese in them (and lots of veggies), but some omelets are so heavy, you feel sick after eating them! Even if I don't eat some of the ingredients in this, it sure is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes, the sick feeling. Especially when the omelet is huge too, and comes with potatoes, toast, and pancakes besides. Who thought all that was a good idea? :)

      Delete
  4. That sausage is a new one to me, but I love the sound of it. And I'm a big fan of sausage. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,
    I've an award waiting for you at my blog. do visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.