Friday, July 6, 2012

Peach and Plum Crumble

Peach and Plum Crumble 2


This crumble was both insanely easy and insanely good.  My sister and I had each eyed it while browsing a magazine on our Nooks, and when she visited for the July 4th holiday we thought the simplicity made it perfect.  Easy and quick mean so much when I'm chasing around an 18-month-old niece for days.  Seriously.  The day they left, I proceeded to nap an hour, then went to bed way early and stayed unconscious for 10 hours.  Mothers, and especially blogger mothers, you have my utmost respect.

Peach Plum Crumble Pan

But even busy mothers and anybody who doesn't like fussing with rolling out pie dough can make this crumble.  You just slice up peaches and plums and toss them with sugar, cornstarch, and salt -- don't even bother peeling the fruit!  Then quickly mix up a crumb topping and scatter it over the top, and it goes in the oven.  My love of traditional pie crust made me skeptical a crumb topping could satisfy, but we three adults were so mad about the topping we agreed it should be doubled next time.

Peach Plum Crumble 2

The plums were our own addition to the recipe, and they turned the crumble a beautiful purple and gave it some tartness.  Sis and I thought the filling was too sweet, though Joe thought it was all right.  So on this second try I doubled the crumb topping but reduced the sugar.  Summer perfection.

Audrey b2

I'm up for visiting the beach again too, with or without Audrey.

Peach and Plum Crumble
Adapted from Everyday Food July/August 2012 Issue
Serves 8

1½ pounds peaches, cut into ½-inch wedges (about 4 peaches)
½ pound plums,cut into ½-inch wedges (about 2 plums)
½ cup granulated sugar (add 2 tbs if your fruit is not very sweet)
1 tbs lemon juice
4 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp coarse salt
12 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp coarse salt

Preheat oven to 375°.  Stir together peach and plum slices, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt, then pour into an 8-inch square baking dish or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.

Beat butter and brown sugar until combined, then add flour and salt.  Gather handfuls of the mixture and squeeze, then gently break up the clump with your fingers and scatter over the filling.  You'll have big and small pieces.

Bake 30 minutes, then cover loosely with foil.  Bake 20 more minutes, until the filling is bubbling.  If using 6-ounce ramekins fill each to the rim with fruit before sprinkling with crumb topping, bake 20 minutes, then cover loosely with foil, and bake another 20 minutes.  Cool for 2 minutes before serving.

18 comments:

  1. great crumble! I like sweetness of peach and sourness of plums.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The magazine didn't suggest plums, but it did say you could throw in some raspberries or blueberries.

      Delete
  2. Hm, you make it sound so easy to make or it is really easy like you said... You crack me up with 10 hour unconsciousness! I think one problem that I don't have anymore is that I can sleep in a few seconds. I think I'm so tired that I don't have to think anything...automatically I pass out after I go to bed. LOL!! This recipe is a keeper, and I trust you! ;-) Your niece is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is easy! Even my sister said she would make it on her own, and she doesn't like fussy baking (she only likes eating the fussy baking). Boy, those little toddlers really do sap your energy -- they want to be held and entertained all day. And between lots of grilling (I made your lemongrass chicken again!), the beach, a festival, and shopping, I was worn out!

      Delete
  3. Adore crumble! Yours looks terrific with stone fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny that you love pie crust--for me, it's basically the thing that holds the good stuff together. :) A crumb topping sounds perfect to me! Oh, and your niece is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way with pizza crust. :) Thanks ... she is a handful!

      Delete
  5. PEach, plum, ice cream whats more to ask for this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww...the little one soooo cute!
    And your crumble looks perfect....fruity with a bit of crunch....jst the way i like it :)
    - abeer@ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic post and Thanks for sharing this info. It's very helpful.
    B&B in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha I agree with you, I have utmost respect for mothers-went to my stepsisters to help with her girls bday party, I was there for a little over 24 hours, went home and passed out at 9 and I didnt wake up until 11am the next morning...

    Anyways this crumble looks wonderful! I love the addition of the plums, I have yet to eat them this summer yet...I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Those little rugrats do require loads of energy. :)

      Delete
  9. My mother has a dessert similar to this but with a less than flattering name. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the quickest and tastiest dishes I know about. When we get last minute or surprise guests, we just chop up some fruit, mix a crumble topping, season it all, pop it in the oven, and tada! Dessert, just like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.