Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Hobbit Day, and Second Breakfast Ideas

Image from Middle Earth News
Happy Hobbit Day!  Did you know there was such a celebration as Hobbit Day, or Tolkien Week?  Apparently September 22 was the birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.  So have your second breakfast, followed by Elevenses, and get psyched about the upcoming Hobbit movie.  Bake up some Lembas bread, or try one of these recipes.

Ideas for your second breakfast:

Country Ham Cheddar Tomato Quiche

Country Ham, Cheddar, and Tomato Quiche - Nice and hearty, yet somehow fancy.

Austen Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Austen Cucumber Tea Sandwiches - They honor my other favorite English author, but they're great for breakfast or tea time.

Lemon or Raspberry Braid

Braided Lemon Bread - For lovers of lemon curd.

Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones

Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones - When you want bacon to start off your day.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits - Pastry flour makes these extra tender.

Cream Scones with Chocolate Chunks

Cream Scones with Chocolate Chunks - Indulgence for breakfast.

Cinnamon Buns

Cinnamon Buns - You'll never eat the ones from a can again.

Maple Muffins

Maple Muffins - Perfumed with maple and studded with walnuts.

How are you celebrating Hobbit Day?

5 comments:

  1. I remember so well Bilbo's "eleventy-eleventh" birthday. Any body who was any Hobbit and any Hobbit who was anybody was there. Which means all of Hobbitton turned out. And the tall magical dude was very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *small voice* I have no idea what you're talking about--I have never read The Hobbit or LOTR. (And to think, I used to be a librarian!) But these recipes look delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding!! You haven't even seen the movies? I know there's 3 of them and they're crazy long (and I'm not even talking about the extended editions), but I thought everybody had at least seen them. And it must be a crime for a librarian not to have read at least "The Hobbit." ;)

      In a nutshell, hobbits love to eat so much one asks during their mission: "What about second breakfast? . . . What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?"

      Delete
  3. You are such a great baker Shirley! Everything looks so good and I've been enjoying following your blog. I won't say "I'm not a baker" anymore since I share some baked goods several times (heeheheh) but I still need to learn more about baking common sense and I love coming here to read what you bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You learn as you go. (And if you're like me, by watching too many cooking shows.) Your baking has been great, and you've tackled cheesecake! That always impresses a crowd.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.