Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Waffles with Maple Butter

Pumpkin Waffles

I love homemade waffles.  I grew up eating the kind you buy frozen, but there's no comparison with homemade.  Plus, when you have a little time on the weekends, waffles are really easy to make.  And these are pumpkin waffles.  They're spiced just like pumpkin pie, with cinnamon, ground ginger, and clove, and topped with a scoop of maple butter.

Waffles with Syrup

If you think that's decadent, I should tell you that the original recipe on Foodness Gracious included maple bacon butter.  Despite being a bacon lover, I decided to forgo the meat for breakfast.  And instead of using maple syrup to make the butter, I decided to try maple sugar, figuring the butter wouldn't get loose and runny the way it might when adding liquid.  Now, I actually never put butter on my waffles or pancakes, and I don't think it's needed here -- the maple sugar gets lost in the additional syrup you pour on top.  But I plan to spread this delicious butter on toast and English muffins, and it would be great on biscuits.  My other tweak is one I always use with homemade waffles, and that's to substitute half of the flour with white whole wheat flour.  Tastes just like regular waffles, and they're a little better for you.  Who's ready for brunch?

Handy tip: Freeze leftover waffles wrapped in plastic for a quick breakfast during the week.  Thaw on the counter, then heat in the toaster oven briefly.

fb

I almost forgot: I finally made a Facebook page for my blog.  Visit it and "Like" it?  I don't have any giveaways to entice you with, but I hope to see you on that end anyway.

Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from Foodness Gracious

Makes eight 7-inch round waffles

Maple Butter
8 tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tbs maple sugar

Sprinkle the suar over the butter in a large bowl, and beat with mixer until combined.  Scraped into a small bowl, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until ready to use.

1¼ cups all purpose flour
1¼ cups white whole wheat flour
⅓ cup light brown sugar
2¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup buttermilk, shaken well
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
6 tbs melted butter
Few chopped pecans, optional

Preheat the waffle iron.

Sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the milk, buttermilk, pumpkin, and melted butter. Whisk until smooth and well blended.

Whisk in the dry ingredients until just smooth.  It will still be a bit lumpy; don't overwork it.

Brush the waffle iron with canola oil or spray with cooking spray. Pour enough batter onto the waffle iron to fill it.  For my 7-inch round machine, that was ½ cup of batter -- using the ¼ cup dry measure to scoop batter twice is handy.  Close the waffle maker and cook until golden and firm.  For my machine, that's 4 minutes.

Transfer cooked waffle to a rack set on a baking sheet in a warm oven, and finish making the other waffles.

Serve waffles with a scoop of maple butter and maple syrup.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.

8 comments:

  1. They look adorable! It's sad I haven't got waffle maker :((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just liked your Facebook page--yay! I was totally resistant to starting one for a long time too. Oh, and pumpkin waffles! These make me wish I had a waffle maker--they look so fluffy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought a Facebook page might be redundant, but I'm liking it. I think a waffle iron is a totally worthwhile investment. They're inexpensive and ours is maybe 8 years old and still works fine. You can customize waffles with whole wheat flour or flavorings, and freeze more for the week ahead.

      We also got a waffle cone iron as a gift, but that one I can't get behind so much. Makes great cones, but doesn't exactly promote a healthy or practical lifestyle. :)

      Delete
  3. Pumpkin waffles sound amazing. I have made pumpkin pancakes before, but not the waffles. This is my first time to your blog, I think it is very nice. I am off to check out your Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The pancakes are probably mostly the same.

      Delete
  4. Your pumpkin waffles made me excited and I hope to give it a try soon (not this weekend as I don't have ingredients...). Perfect holiday brunch menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like them! They would be simple for a holiday brunch -- the batter comes together quickly and they're easy to make. The recipe makes a lot too.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.