Thursday, October 11, 2012

Maple-Glazed Apple Crostata

Maple-Glazed Apple Crostata

I always look forward to baking an apple pie in the fall.  The oven warms the house, and fills it with the smells of cinnamon and nutmeg.  My favorite is a traditional double-crust apple pie, but it's kind of a production.  So when I don't have all day, I turn to open-faced pies like this crostata.  I had made an apple crostata previously with cranberries, but plain ol' apple is usually what I want.  This version is packed with apples.  The recipe calls for just dumping them all onto the dough, but I wanted a fancier look.  Unfortunately, shingling the apples instead of dumping them into one big mound meant not all of them fit, plus they were so packed in that the slices became vertical instead of slanted.  No matter, still delicious.  My aesthetic quibble was actually the crust edges -- I didn't think the crostata needed a 3-inch border like the recipe called for so I went with 2 inches, and you can see it came up short.  But like I said, still delicious.

Maple Apple Crostata

And it still managed to wow a crowd.  With the leftover apples that didn't fit, I made a halved recipe for the crostata, resulting in this smaller one we ate at home.  I used gala apples, which have great flavor and hold their shape well during baking.  And the bulk bag of organic galas cost the same per pound as the loose galas.  My one disappointment with this recipe was that you don't really taste the maple syrup you brush on the apples at the very end.  I suggest skipping that step, or using more syrup and then telling me how that turned out.

Apple Crostata
From Bon Appetit

Crust
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes

Filling
½ cup sugar
2 tbs cornstarch
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of fine sea salt
2½ pounds Golden Delicious apples (about 5 large), peeled, halved, cored, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices (about 7 cups)
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 large egg
2 tbs raw sugar (I used sparkling white sugar)
2 tbs pure maple syrup
Vanilla ice cream, vanilla gelato, or sweetened whipped cream

Place flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter; pulse just until coarse meal forms. Add ¼ cup ice water; pulse until dough forms clumps, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap dough in plastic and chill 1 hour. Crust can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled. Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften slightly before rolling out.

Preheat oven to 400°. Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a work surface. Roll out dough disk on parchment paper to 15-inch round (some of dough will extend over edges of paper).

Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Add apples and lemon juice to bowl with sugar mixture; toss to coat apples evenly.

Transfer apples to crust, mounding in center and leaving a 3-inch plain border. (If halving the recipe, leave a 2-inch border.)  Scrape out any juices from bowl and drizzle over apples. Fold crust edges up over outer edges of filling, crimping dough and folding and pleating as needed to fit. Slide crostata and parchment onto a large rimless baking sheet.  (I used a rimmed baking sheet and recommend it, since the juices bubble over and will make a mess in your oven.) Crack egg into a small bowl. Using a fork, beat egg just to blend. Brush crust edges with beaten egg, then sprinkle crust with raw sugar.

Place crostata in oven and bake until juices in center are thick and bubbling, about 1 hour (reduce by 10 minutes for halved recipe.) Let cool for 5 minutes. Run a long, thin knife or offset spatula around edges of crostata to loosen from paper and to prevent it from sticking to the paper. Transfer baking sheet with crostata to a wire rack. Brush apples generously with maple syrup. Let crostata cool.

Cut crostata into wedges. Place wedges on plates. Serve with ice cream, gelato, or whipped cream.

11 comments:

  1. Looks to die for! A perfect fall dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really nice..I would love it with some vanilla ice cream :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I didn't have any. :) Still good on its own.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous crostata, Shirley!! Hmm too bad that you didn't taste the maple syrup. Maybe fragrance or flavor is hard to keep unless you use a lot like you mentioned. Regardless, I can see why everyone loved this and it's perfect for a party or bringing to someone's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nami! Some of them already asked for another. Spoiled. ;)

      Delete
  4. I wonder if maybe sprinkling some maple sugar on the apples would work better instead? Or maybe I'll just use any excuse to break out my maple sugar. :) What a beautiful dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slapping my forehead . . . why didn't I think of that?? Where do you buy yours? I've only seen it sold in that leaf shape in New England touristy places.

      This calls for a do-over! :)

      Delete
  5. Your efforts to make a fancier looking crostata made me smile. It reminds me of myself and my own efforts to glam stuff up only to have my boys scarf them down uncaring of how they look and concerned only that they taste good. This looks like it tastes great:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Your fellow bloggers will always appreciate your beautiful food. My sister does not -- she impatiently asks when I'll stop photographing so we can eat!

      Delete
  6. That looks fun to make and great to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.