Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Ginger-Molasses Cookies

Chewy Chocolate Ginger-Molasses Cookies

Add this cookie to your holiday cookie basket or plan it for your cookie swap. These are simple to make, and the sugar coating gives the cookies a festive shimmer. They are chewy bordering on crisp with an occasional chunk of chocolate. Even my chocolate-hater friend Dorothy loved them, especially the ginger -- they have both ground ginger and freshly grated ginger, but the flavor isn't overwhelming in the least.

Scoops
On the left, 2¼-inch scoop cookies; on the right, "tablespoon" scoop cookies.
The scoops of dough then get rolled in sugar and baked.
Use good chocolate and good cocoa powder. I used Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips (I didn't bother cutting up any chocolate like the recipe instructs) and Guittard cocoa powder. I actually don't have the size of scoop the recipe calls for, but I discovered that both your "tablespoon" scoop and a 2¼-inch scoop work just as well. The baking times are the same, but the small cookies come out a little crisper and the larger a little chewier. I preferred the chewy, while Joe could barely keep his hands off the crispy until I'd photographed them. Will you go for chewy or crisper?



Chewy Chocolate Ginger-Molasses Cookies
From MarthaStewart.com

7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 tbs freshly grated ginger
1½ cups plus 1 tbs all-purpose flour
1 tbs cocoa powder
1¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup unsulfured molasses
¼ cup granulated sugar

Chop chocolate into ¼-inch chunks; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1½ teaspoons boiling water; set aside

In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with brown sugar until combined. Add fresh ginger and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Slowly add to butter mixture, mixing until well combined.

Add baking soda mixture and molasses; mix to combine. Stir in chocolate; Transfer to refrigerator. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 325°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto baking sheet, 2½ inches apart. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll dough balls in granulated sugar and return to baking sheets. Transfer to oven and bake until surfaces crack slightly, about 18 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

13 comments:

  1. This is going on my list of Christmas cookies to make! I want to do a bunch of them because there's going to have to be enough for my family and for Chris's. So I need some that are easy, like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is definitely time to try fussy, decorative cookies. But it helps to have some easy, tasty ones like these too. I always figure you need some lookers, and some tasters.

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! They are exactly what I was looking for in a ginger/spice cookie! I added a little rosemary to mine and they were so christmas-y tasting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rosemary experimentation! So glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. I've been always a crispy cookie fan. In general I prefer crispy food than chewy (like fudge etc) or soft (oatmeal and congee) type of food. However, lately I've been enjoying chewy cookies! You never know how taste buds change! I am salivating as you describe these cookies. Look so good! I need to make cookies tomorrow... but this recipe is (again) crispy one! haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can make it chewy! :) They're supposed to be chewy. If you use the smaller scoops, reduce the baking by a few minutes.

      Delete
  4. I love my cookies chewy like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am a crispy cookie fan too but i have no complaints against the chewy ones... i would eat those too...hahaha.

    around christmas time, i make ginger molasses cookies but i like your variation with chocolate in them!

    - abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the season for ginger molasses cookies! I think I lean more towards chewy, but I'd eat the crispy ones too. :)

      Delete
  6. Chewy and crispy gosh darn I can't make up my mind. Some of both for me please;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Asian Food was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Have a nice week, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.