Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best of 2012: Top Posts and Favorites

2012 has been good a good year for food, and for my little blog.  I feel accomplished looking back at all the recipes I've tried, and the dining reviews I wrote for Globe South in The Boston Globe.  And the blog really took off this year, the page views for 2012 tripling the total of the previous 4 years combined!  Wow.

So here's a recap of the most popular posts of the year, the posts I think should have made it, and some other stuff.  Thank you all for reading, making the recipes, inspiring me and giving me brainstorms, and for your sweet comments.  Here's to 2013!

Most Popular of 2012

Best of 2012 Collage


1. Pumpkin Fritters with Rosemary and Cheese
The reception these got blew me away.  I was just playing in the kitchen and they weren't perfect, but I didn't know they would get so much attention.  Still heartened to hear some people tried it and liked it.

2. Key Lime Cupcakes
Who knew key lime would be so popular?  I tinkered with a lemon cake recipe and came up with this.  Definitely a keeper.

3. Plum Skillet Cake
This was not only beautiful and rustic, it was delicious.  Definitely repeating next summer.

4. Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie
I don't like peanut butter with chocolate, but you guys really do!  And so does Joe, who I made this for around Valentine's Day.

5. Flour's Country Ham, Cheddar, and Tomato Quiche
I think the tall, fancy look of this quiche garnered lots of views, but I also like it in shallow tart pans with a higher crust-to-filling ratio.

*   *   *

My Notable Mentions
(In no particular ranking)

Notables of 2012 Collage

1. Blueberry (or Raspberry) Roulade
I learned roulades aren't difficult at all.  And the light cake and whipped cream were nice complements for fresh summer fruit.

2. Braided Lemon Bread
Lemon curd and cream cheese are a match made in heaven.

3. Chicken Chile Relleno Pies
Deserved more attention than the little they got.  Full of bold Southwest flavors, and the cornmeal crust is definitely different and so good.

4. Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches
Panko makes these magic.

*   *   *
Facebook Page


I finally created a Facebook page. Visit and "like" it!

*   *   *

Restaurant Reviews I Most Enjoyed Writing
(A toss-up between the two)


Bloomy Rind
I've been back several times.  Their cheeses spoil you for supermarket varieties.  Their sandwiches are two cuts above.  They cut fresh samples of cheese to help you figure out what you want, and remember what you like.

Cafe Paprika
The owner/chef is particular, and practices balance, creativity, and restraint beautifully. Outstanding hospitality, fantastic tagines, and amazing desserts.

10 comments:

  1. The Eggplant Parmesan sandwiches were for sure one of the best things I ate this year. OMG SO GOOD. I still think about them wistfully once in a while. I really need to make them again. :) Congratulations on the blog growth this year--I hope 2013 is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Likewise. I made them one more time after that post, and I think they're due for a repeat soon. And I think the DSLR really helped with the traffic, rescuing me from the fate of ugly point-and-shoot photos. :)

      Delete
  2. I think I still remember those Frozen Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie, just by the looks of it is simply unforgettable. That should be number 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pie was super popular on Pinterest. I think it's the decorative chocolate and peanut butter top. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. WOW!!!! I saw this over at cozy cakes cottage on facebook (I am also distressed cottage and just liked your page :) I will go back with The Cottage Market also! In blog land I am The Cottage Market : ) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pumpkin fritter recipe and going to make it tomorrow -- my vegetarian heart can not resist such incredible yumminess!!!! thanks so much for sharing and I will be trying them all (well not the one with ham : ) LOL!!!! really soon! Hugs and so great to be a follower of your beautiful blog! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! I hope you liked the fritters. The quiche with ham has some variations in the book with spinach and zucchini, I think, so feel free to swap out the meat.

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to look back at all the great food memories you have created. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the tastiest roundup ever. so many extraordinary recipes and reviews :)
    my favorite is the braided lemon bread... it's so pretty!
    -abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The lemon braid is delicious too, give it a try.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.