Saturday, February 23, 2013

Coconut Nian Gao

Coconut Nian Gao

For years I've been looking for the right Nian Gao recipe.  Do you have a treat from childhood that you want to re-create, but it eludes you?  As I described in my failed attempt last year, my mom would sometimes make Nian Gao, the aptly named "new year cake," when I was a kid.  She would melt and slowly caramelize sugar, then steam the cake.  Once I could not wait for it to set, and stuck my finger in to get a taste.  I hadn't learned the concept of not leaving behind evidence, and my mother found a fingerprint in the cake.  Oops.  The thing about mom is that she never wrote down recipes, and usually didn't measure ingredients or time her cooking.  She just had a knack for it.  But it's been a number of years since she made Nian Gao and she doesn't remember all the specifics, so her instructions to add "a little of this" and "cook this for a while" just aren't successful for me.

Nian Gao

If I couldn't re-create the cake of my childhood, I figured I might as well try something completely different.  My friend and colleague Wendy shared this recipe by her husband, Joe, for a Coconut Nian Gao.  The part that makes it radically different is that it's baked.  That part made me do a double-take, too.  In fact, when I told my mom about it, she was doubtful but wanted the recipe to try as well.  And when I ticked off the list of ingredients -- butter, eggs, brown sugar -- she said, "This isn't Nian Gao!"  And I told her, trust me, it tastes just like it, with improvements.  It isn't as dense and hard as the storebought versions.  The edges bake up more like a Western-style cake, so it's easier to cut because it's less sticky.  And the coconut milk, butter, brown sugar, and eggs add subtle flavor and richness, but not so much that it tastes very different from what you're used to.  It's got my endorsement.  Happy Year of the Snake!

Coconut Nian Gao
Recipe by Joe Chow

Note: Joe's recipe didn't specify what pan to use.  The 8-by-8-inch square worked perfectly.  I also tried using a cupcake tin to get something visually appealing, but those came out drier.  Stick with the square pan.

2 eggs
⅔ cup milk
1 cup coconut milk

¾ cup brown sugar
⅔ cup granulated sugar
⅓ stick of butter, melted

1 bag (1 pound) of glutinous rice flour
½ cup nuts (optional, I used almonds)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Mix first group of ingredients, and beat well.  Mix the second group of ingredients, then stir into the egg mixture until combined.

Mix the last group of ingredients, and gradually beat into the liquid mixture.  Pour the batter into an 8-inch-by-8-inch square pan lightly spritzed with cooking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40 to 45 minutes.  Cool to room temperature, and cut into squares.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds nice.. I haven't tried baking with rice flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nian gao but we only use rice never tried using coconut milk on it. We also steam them and fry afterwards with egg coating. Here have a look this is how we do our ones http://angsarap.net/2012/10/30/tikoy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing your version of the recipe a while back. Sometimes my mom would dip pieces in egg and fry them afterwards also.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm abundant coconut milk in this cake? YUM! I've never made a cake with rice flour but I've seen some recipes using it. I need to experiment one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they must be similar to some Japanese desserts? The coconut definitely makes it a bit richer. :)

      Delete
  4. How unusual, but how delicious! I love that this cake is made using rice flour too. Thank you for sharing it with us. Beautiful photographs and great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting cake. Always willing to try something new.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.