Sunday, February 10, 2013

Boston Globe Review: Kam Man

Kam Man
Photos by Shirley Goh/Globe Staff

Happy New Year!  Or, as my family says, Xin Nian Kuai Le!  I hope all of you are safe and warm after Blizzard Nemo.  I fell behind with posting, which wasn't important when coping with the storm.  On Friday a statewide driving ban was issued in Massachusetts, but exceptions were made for some people including the media so off I went.  Driving home from the Globe in the blizzard was surreal and a bit terrifying, and it made me a staunch supporter of the ban.  Then the power got knocked out just before I arrived home, along with the heat.  It was a punishingly cold night, but electricity and heat returned the next day.  Joe did lose a couple fish because the tank got so cold, but otherwise we were fine.  My thoughts are with friends and others still without heat or electricity.

I hope there will still be reason for celebrating, with the Year of the Snake beginning today.  For this story I reviewed the biggest Asian market south of Boston, Kam Man in Quincy.  It's got just about everything you need for your new year in one location, including a bakery and huge housewares section.  And beyond Chinese products, it also covers Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Indian, and Thai cuisines.  I also write briefly about Chinese New Year customs.

Read on to find out what I thought: http://b.globe.com/12CWMW2
If the subscriber wall locks you out, proceed to the freebie site: http://bo.st/152woog

I'll leave you with some wintry scenes I snapped with my phone.

snow collage

6 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you and yours! Thank you for sharing. What a delicious way to end my weekend. I hope you have a great start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year to you as well. Your place looks so cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncomfortably cold. I'm dreaming of summer!

      Delete
  3. Woo hoo, dragon fruit! I love buying those, although Chris thinks they're pretty gross. I hope you're staying warm and that you have a Happy New year--I'm off to read your article! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dragon fruit aren't as tasty as they are pretty. A little bland. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.