Friday, June 22, 2012

Bailey's Ice Cream

Bailey's

I had been looking to bake something, but it's been a scorcher of a week.  I went to the beach yesterday and actually didn't enjoy it, compliments of what felt like heatstroke.  So forget any recipes I had been eyeing that involved using the oven.  My mother forbids using the oven at her house in the summer, but how else can you get great summer pies and cobblers?  But even I couldn't argue with that on these 95-degree days, so ice cream it was.  And what an ice cream.

This tastes just like Bailey's, and is one of the best ice cream recipes I've ever made.  Some ice creams turn a little icy or crystallized, but this was very rich, creamy, and luxurious.  The alcohol is cooked out, but the taste still has some potency.  The book also has suggestions for mixing it up: throwing in a half-cup of chocolate chips at the end, or a teaspoon of espresso powder for fans of Irish coffee.

Irish Coffee
Scoop some Bailey's Ice Cream into a glass of cold-brew coffee for a fun take on Irish coffee.
I won't lie -- this is an expensive ice cream to make.  Cream and sugar don't cost much, but Bailey's does.  I got a 375-milliliter bottle for $18.99.  That gave me the amount I needed for the recipe, plus a little kick left for me over ice.  Joe mentioned that you can make your own Irish cream with some Jameson and heavy cream, and I see that covered in a bunch of blog posts.  Has anyone ever tried that, and would you recommend it?  I normally say you should use quality ingredients when cooking and baking, but it doesn't make sense to spend over $20 making about a quart of ice cream.  Even if it is a really freakin' good ice cream.

This post was shared with:
Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesdays
Sweets for a Saturday

Irish Ice Cream
From Bruce Weinstein's The Ultimate Ice Cream Book

1½ cups Irish cream liqueur
½ cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Bring the liqueur to a simmer in a small, heavy saucepan placed over medium heat.  Cook until the liqueur is reduced to about ½ cup, 5 to 7 minutes.  The liqueur will appear thicker and slightly syrupy.  Set aside.  (I recommend stirring so the sugars don't scorch; also, mine reached this stage with a yield of about ¾ cup.)

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow.  Set aside.

Bring the milk to a simmer in a medium heavy saucepan.  Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar.  Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.  Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly.  Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.  Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.  Allow the custard to cool slightly.  Mix in the reduced liqueur, cream, and vanilla.  Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in one or two batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.  When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat.  For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least two hours.

18 comments:

  1. YUM. Baileys is one of my absolute favs. Gotta make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing, Shirley! I love Bailey's so much. I just may have to try this recipe out, perhaps with a less expensive bottle of Irish cream though. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think no ice cream, no matter how good it is, should take $20 to make. ;) Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  3. Yummy! I am now wishing I would have made ice cream instead of firing up my oven in this heat to bake today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I'm looking forward to with this possible tropical storm is that it might be cool enough to bake again. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks good! I never tried to make my own Bailey substitute but it's definitely worth trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever try, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  5. looks lovely and delicious...mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully it cooled you off from the summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love Bailey's & I happen to have a bottle. I might have to break out the old ice cream maker. SOunds much better than baking right now. I had to bake a cake yesterday and nearly died from heat exhaustion.
    Thanks for sharing this at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is winter here but I want ice-cream now after reading your delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been in the 90s here for the past several days. I hate it! I can't stand being outside for more than a few minutes--definitely ice cream weather. :) My husband is always complaining about how much I spend on food, so if I make this, I guess I'll have to try the Bailey's substitute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is wacky -- now it's been intermittently raining and storming, and then the sun shines for the last few hours of daylight.

      Food prices just keep climbing. I hope we're not driven to moonshine next! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I can imagine that heavenly flavor of this ice cream! I will admit something.. I managed to keep a bottle of bailey's till it expired.. :( had to throw it out with broken heart..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that once with a bottle that was a gift! You can tell how rarely I buy Bailey's. If I knew then what I know now... :)

      Delete
  11. I'm a little envious that you are having some heat. Here it's relatively cool and sometimes we can't really enjoy pool in summer...unless we go to Inland more then hotter. I love that you are making this delicious ice cream! I've never used Irish cream liqueur. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good ice cream! Days later and still scoops without a problem -- no hardness or iciness.

      I know the feeling, summer should be hot enough to enjoy the beach. For the past few days it's been pouring rain, and then the sun comes out. At least the rain has cooled us off.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.