Friday, June 8, 2012

Rum Raisin Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce

Rum Raisin

I've bailed the ice cream maker out of the basement, and given it a home on the counter.  I know that sounds like neglect, but it's big and heavy due to the built-in compressor (no need to freeze churning bowl!) so I waited for ice cream season to begin.  I never thought Rum Raisin Ice Cream was my thing, until I had something like it at a local ice cream shop last summer.  And then I saw this recipe at Pastry Affair a few months ago, and it's been on my brain since.  And apparently it's Joe's childhood favorite.  I'm not a big fan of drinking rum, but I've concluded I love rum-flavored desserts like Vanilla Bean-Pineapple Tart, Black Bottom Tart, and Baba au Rhum.

Rum Raisin Ice Cream 2

This was excellent.  The raisins are briefly cooked in rum and soak up all the liquid.  When they were almost done I put the lid on my saucepan and turned off the burner, and the flame puffed up before going out -- except it must have caught some alcohol fumes because the lid rim was suddenly blue and aflame.  "Whoa!" I shouted.  "What's up?"  Joe called from the other room.  "Unintentional flambé!"  It was entertaining, but just be careful.

If you're like me, you might ask if you need the caramel sauce.  No one needs caramel sauce, but you want it.  Trust me.  The ice cream and the caramel are each very good on their own, but combined they might sing to you.

View the recipe at Pastry Affair.

Want more recipes for frozen desserts?  Here are some oldies but goodies:

Chocolate Gelato 2

Blackberry Ice Cream

Lychee Sorbet

Caramelized Pear Ice Cream

Maple Ice Cream

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful ice cream! My ice cream maker is tucked away in a cupboard right now. But the weather sure has been calling for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rum and raisin ice cream looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like drinking rum either, but oh do I love it in desserts! This looks amazing and I love the shot of the caramel being spooned over the top--beautiful! All that's missing is some apple pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not easy spooning caramel with one hand and shooting with the other, and my tripod was occupied with a light. The reward was sweet, though. ;)

      Delete
  4. This flavor is one of my mom's favorite and I just remember how much she enjoyed... as a kid, I wasn't sure why this weird taste (rum) tastes good. But maybe 2-3 years ago I had a chance to have it after the longest time, and I also enjoyed it a lot! I am afraid my kids will have the same reaction as I did when I was a kid, and I end up eating the whole batch.... =) I'd love to have a scoop from yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine liking it when I was younger. It would have to be a treat for just you and your husband. :)

      Delete
  5. I have been telling myself since last year to buy an ice cream maker and i think it's about time i did... All these recipes and pictures are making me crave for a scoop or two :P
    - abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully endorse buying an ice cream maker! You can't beat the flavor of homemade, and you can put only natural ingredients in your ice cream.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.