Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lemon and Basil Sorbet

Lemon Basil Sorbet duo

Are you a fan of Italian ices?  When I lived in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, they called them water ices. Joe has been buying a lot of the lemon Italian ices from the supermarket, and I wondered about making something similar.  After two rounds of homemade ice cream recently, it sounded like a lighter and more refreshing option.  And not in that bland diet way.  These are wonderfully cold and lemony and won't weigh you down.

Lemon Basil Sorbet single

But I didn't want to do a plain lemon sorbet, and I remembered Kiersten from Oh My Veggies blogged a Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet a while back.  Alas, meyer lemons were in season when she blogged them in February but they aren't now, and I've never seen a meyer lemon sold around here.  But the sorbet still turned out awesome with ordinary lemons.  I was afraid when making the simple syrup that it smelled too strongly of basil, but when tasting the sorbet it truly was the perfect amount of the herb.  It doesn't overpower the lemon at all but enhances it, and while the basil definitely has a presence I wonder if others could guess what it is.


Lemon Basil Sorbet


And Joe?  He went nuts for the sorbet.  It costs just a little more to make the homemade sorbet rather than buying the Italian ices -- luckily I plucked all the basil off my front porch -- but the sorbet was way better.  I can't say I'll be replacing his Italian ice fix with homemade sorbet a few times a week, but it will make an appearance a few more times this summer.

Click here to visit Oh My Veggies for the recipe.

Update: This post made the Foodbuzz Top 9.  Thanks for all the buzz!


19 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I am completely in love with lemon Italian ice, I grew up eating it and I was addicted to it when I was pregnant. I don't know why, but lemon and basil seem like a great pair to me. I'll definitely have to try this! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of summers spend in Italy, even though there was no basil in my sorbet. I think it is a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pure lemon is so good too.

      Delete
  3. The Lemon Sorbet looks cool and refreshing:) What a great summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basil is interesting ingredient for sorbet :) can't imagine the taste, but I love how it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it sometime! It's probably not like anything you've ever had, but in a good way.

      Delete
  5. This looks so wonderful! I just want to grab that spoon! BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I've been slow to thank you for linking to me--the past few days have been crazy! But here I am to say: THANK YOU! I'm so glad you liked the recipe. :) It's funny, I was just at the grocery store this morning and they still had Meyer lemons! But they looked a little funky so I didn't take my changes with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! It was so good, and it was fun to use my basil in a sweet recipe for once. Maybe if I trek over to the Whole Foods a few towns away, I'll spot meyer lemons one day.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on making the Foodbuzz Today’s Top 9 with your lovely sorbet:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on this making it up on Top 9! I definitely noticed it on Tasteologie and thought how perfect those flavors would be for the Texas heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely, and the Northeast has got some heat lately too. :)

      Delete
  9. First of all, congrats on the top9! Whoo hoo! This sorbet sounds really refreshing and I love it. So, Meyer lemons are hard to get too? Wow I didn't know that. Like we talked earlier, I guess my "America" image is probably just "California" as it can be very different in other states! Even here Meyer lemons are very seasonal and I usually buy a big box of Meyer lemons when they appear in Costco... :-) I love how you presented this over sun flower fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think if I go to the Whole Foods a few towns away I might be able to find Meyer lemons, but I've never seen them in the ordinary supermarkets here. I would be shocked to find them in a Costco here. "California" is like the dream image of America. lol Beautiful people, always warm weather, and fresh fruit year-round.

      Delete
  10. Just mouthwatering...would love to have some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More deliciousness for me to drool over - what a gorgeous sorbet! I'm featuring this in today's Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and it's always fun to be following along with your creations…

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.